Solo Guitarist looking to use www.Gigmasters.com

lpstudio86

• Members

First of all, im doing only instrumental... I have 2 hours + worth of only acoustic guitar instrumental songs, some of backings i use can either be for acoustic or electric guitar depending on the type of gig. All Instrumental material, about 2 and half hours worth of classic rock, blues, pop, jazz covers. Then of course i have my original rock material which is an additional 15 rock style originals, but of course depending on the type of gig, im sure i wouldnt want to play my rock originals in a winery haha, and others are metal which of course isnt the genre people are looking for from this Gigmasters site or any gig where there are elderly folks.

so with this being said, should i try to apply to Gigmasters if i want more gigs??? anyone have experience with this as a solo guitarist with backing tracks?? Please let me know.

I did an open mic in the video below just to show you how i play, and the guy there hosting said Id be perfect for restaurants and wineries. but im curious of what you think of the Gigmasters site to get more gigs. please let me know thanks hbang2.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R-UTl1nphw

• Moderators

First...there were some 'clams' in your soloing on that video...might not be the best calling card. I'm jus'sayin'...

Most instrumental gigs I have done [not many], don't want backing tracks, just a solo guitar as wallpaper music.

A lot depends on what sells where you are. I suggest, before you start chasing the elusive solo gigs, that you see what other people are doing in the venues you are targeting, and then figure out how to do it better in some way.

• Members

A lot depends on what sells where you are. I suggest, before you start chasing the elusive solo gigs, that you see what other people are doing in the venues you are targeting, and then figure out how to do it better in some way.

^^^THIS.

One of the nice things about Gigmasters is it's a pretty good source for figuring out what others in your same market are doing and who's getting that sort of work, etc. Good way to contrast and compare yourself with other acts to see what things you can work to improve upon and find your own niche that separates you from the competition.

• Members

Holy cymbals Batman!

1. I use backing tracks and the first thing I do is make sure my hi-hats and cymbals are down in the mix. Nothing screams "backing tracks" like loud hats or cymbals.

2. You have some interesting note choices - maybe they are clams, maybe mussels, or maybe just interesting note choices. In any case I would leave those out.

3. In a promo video never put a whole tune as your demo. Sure you can provide links or whole tunes on your website, but for your demo "reel" just put three to six songs for a total of three to five minutes.

4. Judging by the crowd noise it's a pretty rowdy place you're at. You might scare some classier joints away - unless you don't want those jobs...

Here's a demo video of some friends of mine. I've worked with just about all of them over the years and I just discovered their video on YouTube. No it's not solo demo, but if you want to see a good demo, check it out. Of course if you're just starting out you can't get as involved as my example below, with fan testimonials and all that sort of thing. However, you could put three or more songs together, and maybe add in a short rap about how much you love what you do, and all that sort of "nonsense"..

• Moderators

I was not going to say anything about the sound of the backing tracks because I've noticed that phones and most built in video camera mics tend to accent the highs and upper mids [some sort of Mp3/Mp4 artifact?], so the cymbals tend to bloom over the top...they may sound great in the actual room, but not reproduce well.

Archived