serviceable gig bags

pogo97

• Members

I have a fairly lousy gig bag that I'm including with a guitar I'm selling, so now I'm down to a single, really lousy, gig bag and three hardshell cases.

I'd like a GOOD gig bag. Doesn't have to be military spec or anything, but should have decent enough padding to protect my guitar du jour (ranging from tele to archtop in size) from the bumps of everyday gigging life and a decent amount of storage for odds and ends, maybe including a binder.

Suggestions?

• Moderators

Honestly, I have 2 gig bags and NEVER use them. I've seen a couple of devastating mishaps over the years which convinced me that NO gig bag will adequately protect my guitars from the potential threats they face outside my house. One is a basic Fender gig bag, [like when the store ad says 'gig bag included', it is that cheap zip up] which is adequate for keeping the dust off, IMHO...which came with my Tele, which has a nice Fender tweed case now,

The other is a Boulder Alpine series, which, as gig bags go, seems pretty good [it came with a used guitar I bought, I think it was the Fender Staacoustic...] which has it's own hard case now...]...make me a reasonable offer on it and pay the shipping and it's yours.

It looks pretty much like this one:

http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/BOULDER-BAG-ALPINE-SERIES-BLUE-CB-360BL?gclid=CjwKEAjw6_q5BRCOp-Hj-IfHwncSJABMtDaiwP_z-8ggl_qWrjfuP374UyxBAU9StLc9A4EvHi1smhoCEF7w_wcB

plenty of pocket space, well padded...The Fender I'd even throw in....for another $20....

• Members
Honestly' date=' I have 2 gig bags and NEVER use them. I've seen a couple of devastating mishaps over the years which convinced me that NO gig bag will adequately protect my guitars from the potential threats they face outside my house....[/quote']

Tell me about the mishaps…

My own experience suggests that breaking off the headstock in low doorways or hatchbacks is a real danger.

I just love that they free up an arm. Went to a gig last night with a Deluxe Reverb in one hand, a telecaster and bag o' cords in the other and dobro and more stuff on my back and one-tripped it on a busy street in downtown Kingston. That made me happy.

• Members

I've been using a Levy bag for a couple of years. I've done around three hundred gigs with it, and it's still in one piece. I plan on getting another. It's not in the Mono bag class, but so far so good. https://www.long-mcquade.com/17396/Guitars/Cases_Gig_Bags/Levy_s/Polyester_Gig_Bag_For_Acoustic_Guitar.htm

I also purchased a Tric case, which seemed like a fantastic deal. It's fairly good protection but you have to baby the case when opening and closing, because as mentioned in a review, the hinges are a little fragile. Frankly I wish they had made it a bit more rugged and charged another $50 or $75 - it still would have been a good deal. I've only used this case about fifty times but again, so far so good. https://www.long-mcquade.com/23479/Guitars/Cases_Gig_Bags/Godin_Guitars/Deluxe_Guitar_Case_-_Dreadnought_5th_Ave_Mini-Jumbo.htm

• Members
The Tric case really does seem like a great deal and pretty good protection . And it's $50 cheaper than they Levy bag. Why do you use the Levy more?

While the Tric case does have an internal compartment in which I can fit strings, an extra strap and a small mini screwdriver set, I can't fit my small pedal board in the outside pocket of theTric. Not really a big deal as I usually carry a small cable bag. The Levy has two outside pockets which seems to be handier. I guess as well, the Levy is balanced better on my back - or maybe I'm just used to it more.

I can do about 80% of my solo gigs on the Skytrain, so how the guitar rides on my back is important to me, particularly as I traverse the escalators and transit exchange walkways. Most of my gigs are one or two blocks from a station as well, so it's nice to have something comfortable on myback.

I use a gig bag because as you mentioned it frees up a hand. Many of my gigs have house PA's so I roll a small bag with cables and mixer, and then have a hand free to push elevator buttons, or redirect crazed street people away from me! If I am drowsy I can also stop for a coffee and attempt the walk and chew gum routine.

• Members

cheap fiddles go in a gig bag for light transport... into the car for a short hop to a friends place... just something to keep the major scratches and dings off... serious fiddles require serious protection... i have the orig case for my 69 gold top, but if she goes out on the town, shes wearing full armor with teeth...

• Members

Me? Nothing but a flight case will do. The plastic SKB types and their competitors are light weight and I think protect the gear much better than a gig bag.

If I can't get a plastic flight case for the particular instrument, I'll settle for the playwood/tolex kind.

I figure it's cheap insurance.

I do have an SKB for my ES-330 that has clips that you can put a strap on and carry it over your shoulder like a gig bag.

Notes

• Moderators

I think I told the latest one here a while back about an acquaintance who while tearing down the PA, lost his balance and stepped on the neck of his guitar [packed in a very nice high end gig bag], and did the headstock 'el snappo'.

I have seen a number of 'door hits', knock over/tip overs, etc, but the worst are the gear stack falls...a soft case will not protect an acoustic from a PA cabinet...which saw I happen several years ago. I have also had things hit my hard cases over the years which, had they been gig bags, would likely have been the death of the instrument...two of which required me to replace the hard cases: the first replaced with an ABS SKB case [for my '71 Guild], the second with an ATA quality roadcase [for my '75 Strat].

I understand the object of convenience, but I value my instruments [even the 'cheap' ones] too much to leave their safety up to chance. I would rather make several trips to the car than have an instrument damaged on a gig...and I only had that happen once, and not due to a case failure.

• Members

I guess I am with the minority after reading the above, I use gig bags with both my acoustics, one of which came in a hard shell case and am actively seeking a gig bag for my PRS hollowbody which I currently haul in it's hard case.

I will probably end up with a mono but also like the look of the Fusion brand which are available in Canada and the US

https://www.fusion-bags.com

I need the lighter weight, the back straps and the extra pockets and am willing to trust that they will be fine. I find I am more likely to bang them when they are out of their bags. Also they travel in the car, if I was throwing them in the back of a band Van, I may well have a different opinion.

• Members

I traded a hard case to my friend for the semi-rigid case that came with his new Guild. The downside is using a zipper instead of latches. Nice amount of protection though and backpack straps if I recall.

• Members

I've been using a camera bag for the last couple of years and like you found it ideal. Unfortunately it gave up the ghost a few month ago. I have now replaced it with another but this one has a specific sleeve for a laptop, it really could have been made to my specifications.

18b7cc324c77640c7239d259aefe5fc2.thumb.jpeg.5b679eb5581f0e3ce052a12e65089920.jpeg

8a1cf276bc1653de19a8bf96a4813865.jpeg.98728af64a51eb80f7584d6ef1077c57.jpeg

• Members

As you've noted, one advantage of a gig bag is that it will accommodate different sizes of guitar, meaning you can use the same bag for multiple guitars. My normal reply is to get a rigid foam case but it's not as flexible as a gig bag. I wish I could recommend something.

• Members

I have a Guitar Research bag that I use for my Strat. I have been hauling it around to gigs, rehearsals, jams, etc. in the bag for about 8 years now. It has zippered pockets that hold strings and string changing tools, a couple cords, capo, slide, pics and ipad.

My hollow body an my acoustics get hauled around in their cases.

Guitar effects, mics, xlr cables and more guitar cables, any notebooks, mic stand ipad holder, extra batteries, power strip and extension cord, miscellaneous adapters all go into a rolling semi rigid fabric case I found at Staples. It's like a fat briefcase with an extending handle and wheels.

• Members

I play one-nighters, and they are notoriously hard on equipment. In the van (change temperature each step along the way), rattle around to the gig, on stage, back in the van, back home. Do it again and again and again and again.

For me a gig bag would be a suicide bag for my guitar.

But then we haul around 1 sax, 2 wind synthesizers, 2 guitars, one flute, one tactile MIDI controller, one MIDI percussion controller 4 synth tone modules, 12 channel mixer, Sonic Maximizer, FX unit, 2 mics, 2 15" powered speaker cabs, 2 mini monitors, 7 stands and more cables than I want to count.

When schlepping gear, I wonder what I could leave at home. But when on stage and playing, I wish I brought my bass, a few more sound modules, and keyboard synth too (ain't gonna happen - I had to draw the line somewhere).

I sometimes envy the person who slings an acoustic with a pickup, amp, and mic to the gig. But then I wouldn't have the variety of tonal colors and the ability to express myself in so many different ways.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members
I've been using a camera bag for the last couple of years and like you found it ideal. Unfortunately it gave up the ghost a few month ago. I have now replaced it with another but this one has a specific sleeve for a laptop' date=' it really could have been made to my specifications.[/quote']

Nice! I still need a separate bag for most of my cables unfortunately. Mine also doesn't hold a hat so perfectly. It does have a well padded slot for an iPad though, which is nice. It still speeds things up immensely when everything has a place.

• Moderators

That is my next phase...one with a handle and wheels. I have a mic bag that holds 6 mics, cables and stuff, and a computer bag that I use to carry guitar stands, cables, batteries, power strips [and occasionally an actual laptop!], and then 2 large plastic totes: 1 for the PA/cables [AC and speaker cables] and 1 for the monitors [4 Hotspots, power strip/speaker cables...], a pistol case that holds my 'now reduced' solo pedal rig [Ditto, Beat Buddy, BodyRez and H1 VoiceTone +wall warts and cables] and I have two folding carts [one rated 75#, one rated 150#]...it can get quite complicated for an outside duo/trio gig...for solo indoors, I can get almost everything PA related in [or strapped to] the Fish-stick bag [mic, cables, mic stand].

• Members

i use a gig bag for my 12 string craviola. but only because i refuse to pay as much for the case as i did for the guitar... i love the neck and the way it plays but its a beater... and frankly havent played much of any other twelve than the martin since its arrival... depends on the gig... maybe the guild...

• Members

Once I stopped putting my gear into the box of a one ton truck, I switched to gig bags. Maybe it's a geographic thing, but a lot of people use gig bags here. I've also noticed that many horn players use them. Maybe once you get used to leaving your $8,000 sax unprotected on a stage, a gig bag seems like Fort Knox.

As mentioned (knocking on head) all of the damage to my guitars has come when they are at the gig, out of whatever case I use.

• Members

As mentioned (knocking on head)...

Also geographic, I suspect. The first time I saw someone "touch wood" by knocking on their head, it was while I was hitch hiking out west in my twenties. French Canadian woman working at tree planting. She was charming and the action was charming and I still use that expression.

Archived