ghostbuster gig tomorrow...

Voltan

• Members

all day affair, paranormal investigators are putting on an event... i have to be set up by 10 am... really? people get up that early to play music? yeah, i know but i reserve the right to bitch about early morning gigs... once again its no set time other than load in set up by 10. play when i feel like it... for how long i feel like playing...

get it on!

• Members

We have a town clock that does the Westminster thing every hour from 7 to 11. It used to be 24-hour but they built a senior's residence next door and the night-time tolling bothered them. There are a number of buildings nearby that echo the bells. If you walk quickly, you get a lovely chorus from the doppler effect and if you're riding a bike or in a car, the sound gets really exciting.

• Members

You need to be in a worship band. We show up every Sunday before 10AM. Quite honestly, I'm not a morning person and I sympathize. Last weekend I had to come in to work at 7AM, something I haven't done in a while, and work a 12 hour shift. Anyway, hope the gig went well.

• Members

actually, i had protesters! there were six or seven people, men and women, carrying sings and one carrying a ten or twelve foot long cross... preaching hell fire and damnation. they stayed the duration of the event, marching and chanting, openly berating people coming to check out the activity...

i took them ice cold bottles of water, fresh, organic tangerines and an invitation to come up into the shade and relax to some gongs... they refused on all counts so i left the water and food on the sidewalk, it was there when i left for home... this world is sure an odd place.

• Members

Sorry to hear it. I'm a Christian but I'm also pretty much "live and let live" where a lot of stuff is concerned. Unfortunately, there are good, well meaning folks who equate any discussion of the paranormal with demon worship.

• Moderators

guess they never heard the expression 'holy spirit', or 'holy ghost'...and they can get away with calling themselves Christians, and yet be intolerant?

I play picnics in the summer where I have to be on site by 9AM, plus up to an hour drive to get there...

• Members

They would say they don't have to ''tolerate sin'' or ''tolerate evil'' but personally I'm with you.

I haven't played that early since college. Four of us were in an acoustic group that played in small churches and once we had to do three back-to-back services on Sunday morning. IIRC, the first was at about 8AM.

• Members

raised in a pentecostal family, im no stranger to fundamentalist christians. my dad, and several brothers are ministers, one grandfather... i know the drill... having seen it a time or two. and deep end, i started playing in worship bands pretty early. my voice matured early and i was singing publicly at three years old, in church.through playing in worship bands i would meet brother Ray G., whom would introduce me later to the likes of roy clark, chet atkins, doc williams, count basie, buddy rich and so many more... many early mornings, late nights, rinse and repeat... even before the fall... lol... which is also why i handled the situation in the manner it was done... there is no recourse, no logical or rational negative recourse, against compassion and love... so i simply showered them with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

actually,i,did... i found a nice fat chord and gently wove " Om, Shanti, Shanti, Shanti Om... " in and around it as indian mantra... what more beautiful hymn than praying for the infinite, completely permeating peace that comes from the source of the universe to,fill every living being forever? pretty heavy stuff...

• Members

deep end.. i would say here in america we have religious freedom... and the definition,or even existence of the concepts of evil or sin are arbitrary, at best. simply put, my beliefs are as valid as the next. period. however i also believe that we should treat each other as we would want to be treated and acted upon that belief.. i dont feel they acted so much out of hatred but rather from their level of understanding. i hold,on to hope that christian people that dont get it, will... someday. jesus taught a marvelous way of living and being, unfortunately some use it for control and.profit... imagine an entire continent being swindled in the name of religion by a government supposedly founded upon the principles of religious and personal freedom...

Archived