Just play "Alice"

steve mac

• Members

Out to dinner last night at a beach restaurant when I was "tapped up" to do a regular weekly gig there. Whilst discussing terms I asked if it was ok to tell some of my more risqué stories between songs and I thought the owners reply was genius. He said, "Just play Living Next Door to Alice" as your first song, if they join in then yes, if they don't then no." Don't know why I've never thought of this before.

• Members

It's a lovely, innocuous song which was a hit in the seventies for a band called Smokie, but when they started playing it live and got to the chorus, it became a call and response with the crowd. They sang " living next door to Alice" and the crowd shout back, querying Alice's identity.

I use the song occasionally to "waken up" an audience and get them singing, it has never failed. However I have never thought of using it as a test of how blue I could go.

• Members

Over here they ask for "Strokin" by Clarence Carter and the rednecks used to ask for Jimmy Buffett's "Let's Get Drunk And Screw".

We play a mixed audience, and so we don't do either of those. Long ago I found out that when you do "everybody's music" it's easier to make enemies than it is to make friends. So we don't go too hard-core in any one genre and try not to offend anybody (and there are a lot of prudes in the USA - much more than I noticed in Europe).

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I've often wondered why we appreciate violence more than sex.

In the movies, graphic violence is often G or PG (depending on how graphic) while naked female breasts or any simulated sex is R to be sure.

Confusing: Murder is illegal, put portraying murder on TV or the Movies is legal. Sex is legal but portraying it on TV or the Movies is very restricted and depending on when, illegal.

Personally, I hope my children have great sex in their lifetime, and I hope they have no violence.

Archived