The traditional start of season - what do you wear when performing - Thread

steve mac

• Members

I remember when what to wear threads were some of the most popular on here, well that and using an iPad. So I give you my last nights ensemble, which has to be the campest shirt in the history of tailoring from Buckles, which I combined with cream Levis I bought for $14 in a sale in Fulsome (just down the road from the prison) and a pair of Hush Puppy sandles (it's v hot here).

I even managed to post a shot that includes my iPad.

• Members

It's the end of the season here :(

I wear blue jeans and a Hawaiian shirt at my weekly gig at the marina that you were kind enough to visit us at. It's the only gig I wear blue jeans at, and I do because the elements were too hard on my khaki pants.

Other outdoor gigs I wear khaki pants and a Hawaiian shirt (It's Florida after all).

Inside gigs depend on the gig. Tuxedo, jacket and tie, jacket and ascot (I like that better than a tie), shirt and ascot, or if the party is a theme party, I'll dress the theme.

BTW, we are doing the nudist camp twice this year, so I'll wear next to nothing there (playing instruments naked is uncomfortable for me and even if I was better endowed, I wouldn't want to )

The one we did best there was Leilani died my skivvies and t-shirt flesh color, and we cut out black cardboard rectangles to cover the parts that would have been censored in a 1950s magazine. They loved it, and my guitar and sax rested on cloth, not hairy flesh.

I just try to dress appropriately for the gig.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I used to be very particular about this. Dark shirt, dark jeans, dark shoes. Still a good safe route for most. I wear long pants always, look in the mirror to make sure I don't specifically look like I'm about to go golfing or to a sporting event or a cookout, and usually can roll with what I'm wearing. I don't have a brand that necessitates a whole lot of careful selection. Lots of solid hoodies, plaid, sneakers and boots. I keep it neat though. As a general rule I try to be dressed up slightly above average for the location. That doesn't typically take much, if anything.

• Moderators

It all depends on the venue for me, and which performing entity I'm with....my band, Blues Channel, we have a 'no blue jeans' rule [black, yes, white, yes, but blue is right out!]. For picnic gigs, shorts and Aloha shirts are the norm [it can be brutally hot here in summer].

We are doing a single set at a 'centennial celebration' for the home of the original editor of the LA Times in early June, for which I will likely wear white jeans and a bowling shirt, or possibly a black shirt with a while jacket and a white fedora if the weather permits [it will, after all, be after Memorial Day, so I could wear white shoes as well ;) ]

For the blues jam band, typically jeans and an Aloha shirt, in the 'winter' months, usually a long sleeve pocket 'T-shirt'.

For the solo gig, it all depends, I typically let the person hiring me dictate the dress code; absent direction, dark slacks and a polo shirt in the summer, unless it is outdoors in day time. Then, like Notes, it is khaki's and an Aloha shirt.

With the wedding band, I have my own tux, but if there is a 'color scheme', they have us fitted for a rental tux...which comes out of the top fee.

My two rules: I gotta look presentable, but I gotta be comfortable!

ed34b722cfe3ba473726331ae06aba08.jpeg

• Members

Used to wear a suit in the lounges but except for a couple, I wear a solid coloured short sleeve shirt (the kind that doesn't tuck) and black pants in winter, and beige or whatever pants in summer (usually Dockers...). I'll wear black jeans (new not faded) if it's a party gig. Even with a suit I never wear a tie, too stuffy. Mandarin collar or the "new" spread collars done up, or top button undone. It's interesting, all the old guys in my area are dressing like they're thirty - just seems to be the look.

In my party band we have to wear black shirts and black pants so the leader can stand out. Outdoor gigs we switch to Dress Casual as in my usual look.

• Members

it used to give the size allowed, but this time, i saw the poast, clicked on the pic, it worked...went on and noticed the thread didnt move in rotation so i checked it... this time it was gone. likewise a scathing, but valid perception of some rather childish happenings in another phorum were also gone upon later inspection... and those were just text? there are times when i wonder why i bother and then... i remember that there are those whose lives would be so much smoother without my input... and the direction is once more clear, the purpose defined and the imagination ignited!

• Members

i even poasted just text... imagination required...white cotton kurta, with traditional pyjama trousers or tie dyed scrub pants... that seems to be in the missing file as well... no big deal, just weird crap.

Archived