whistling at a funeral

pogo97

• Members

Played organ at a funeral today for a prominent man in the area. There was a bagpiper, fire trucks, cops, firefighters, etc. etc. And a full church.

After the communion, there was a period of silence. And someone in the congregation started whistling some random tune. Up in the choir loft, we were completely baffled. The priest was baffled, and anyone I talked to was baffled.

I googled "whistling at a funeral" to see if it carried any meaning. What I found was that in the 1800s, there was a standard expression"whistling at funeral" which meant making a ghastly and public social gaffe.

I wonder if someone in the congregation has some turette's-like behaviour that, when there is silence, they fill the void with whistling. Maybe unconsciously. Maybe?

Strange. What would a person do if they were sitting beside that person?

• Members

Unless they were some poor befuddled person that had wandered in off of the street, I would assume it was intentional. A not so subtle way to make a statement. Hell hath no fury, or something along those lines... Too bad for the family, but rude seems to be the in thing these days.

• Members

Turns out that we're both hopelessly old-fashioned. The priest found out it was a lady's cel phone. Took her about 30 seconds to find it and turn it off. I do hope she was completely mortified. But I giggle every time I think about it.

• Members

I'm way too young to have heard them when they were new, but I spend a lot of time on the road and Sirius/XM has the Radio Classics channel that plays old time radio stuff 24/7, including The Whistler on a regular basis. Great story telling on many of those old shows and the miles go by a lot quicker.

Archived