A gig opportunity you may not have considered...

Phil O'Keefe

Everybody is always looking for gigs, right? Especially nice are gigs where people are actually interested in listening to you (as opposed to chatting up some cutie... NTTAWWT), and even better are gigs you can actually get paid for. So where is this potentially profitable gig that people are overlooking?

At the library.

Seriously. Read the linked article. I thought it was really interesting.

• Members

Thanks for the link. Played a nice gig at a West Vancouver (BC Canada) library. They moved all the shelving on wheels out of the way, set up a little stage and PA, and instant quality gig! I haven't looked into any others, but I suppose I should.

• Moderators

I have done a few as a sideman [duo], but the L.A. Public Library system has never paid us a red cent....I'm jus' sayin'; we did them pro bono. I never heard money mentioned....I mean, our local libraries have cut their hours, laid off staff...I'm fairly certain there is no budget here for 'entertainers'. Which is not to say tha tin some places, this could be a viable option, just like doing the old folks homes and the Veterans Hospital [with all their whining about mismanagement, I have had some fairly decent paying gigs for the VA, go figure!].

• Members

When visiting my Mother in Waynesville NC (the Smokies) the library there had a series of classical music performances. I chalked it up to it being a civilized part of the US. But dont know whether any pay was involved.

This reminded me of the mid-late 90's when the Books-A- Million stores in my area had live music- usually young punk/alt originals bands. Pretty sure there was no pay involved for that.

• Members

We've done quite a few concerts at libraries. They ask for an hour, we usually give them 90 minutes (we ask first they say it's OK), it pays better than 4 hours in a night club.

This video was taken at a library concert about 10 years ago. Since then we have 'graduated' to the biggest library in the system.

When visiting my Mother in Waynesville NC (the Smokies) the library there had a series of classical music performances. I chalked it up to it being a civilized part of the US. But dont know whether any pay was involved.

This reminded me of the mid-late 90's when the Books-A- Million stores in my area had live music- usually young punk/alt originals bands. Pretty sure there was no pay involved for that.

A couple of buddies of mine used to play at Borders bookstores fairly often, and they did get paid, although I'm not sure how much it was. I'm not sure if any of the other chains do that, but bookstore concerts aren't unheard of.

• Moderators

I had several friend's bands that did what they called the 'Border's Circuit', playing the bookstore. There is no stage, no lighting, no PA, so you bring your own, set up tear down...for the 'exposure' and selling CDs/swag. I looked into it and was totally underwhelmed...

• Members

There used to be a live small band at the Starbucks in a Barnes & Noble book store years ago. Always looking for opportunities, we inquired about it. It was basically open mic plus you could put out a tip jar or sell CDs.

I think they got busted by ASCAP though, because it didn't last long.

Archived