slide guitar

pogo97

• Members

For whatever reason, I seem to be about the only local player who ever uses a slide. Recently, I've been working on playing with the slide in standard tuning while also using my fingers to fret both behind (nut side) and ahead (bridge side) of the slide. Last week, the Old Pal Minnow Bucket Band recorded some of Scott's songs. Very jammy (we're a jam band, ffs), but the recording sounds wonderful -- best sound I've ever heard from my dobro. Here's the one where I used the fret/slide/fret technique.

• Moderators
For whatever reason, I seem to be about the only local player who ever uses a slide. Recently, I've been working on playing with the slide in standard tuning while also using my fingers to fret both behind (nut side) and ahead (bridge side) of the slide. Last week, the Old Pal Minnow Bucket Band recorded some of Scott's songs. Very jammy (we're a jam band, ffs), but the recording sounds wonderful -- best sound I've ever heard from my dobro. Here's the one where I used the fret/slide/fret technique.

Nice song, production was a bit sparse, not a bad thing, but some background vocals would have added a nice touch.

I was hoping for a more dynamic [and upfront] slide solo...it is really hard to hear the slide over the rhythm guitar.

Also, considering the key, why didn't you use open D? It would have afforded you some nice movable chord voicings.

• Members

More me. I'd agree with that. But I'm taking a policy of "one producer and he ain't me" on this so it's fine as it stands.

As to no open D, I'm working on expanding what I can do in standard tuning (I dislike re-tuning) and fretting with my loose fingers to get more conventional voice leading (fewer long slides and parallel harmonies). Still very much a work in progress.

• Members

I used to use open tunings for like my first 10 years playing slide. I gradually started using normal to the point where that's all I use now. It can be a little tricky between the 3rd and 4th strings in minor keys but I'm pretty comfortable with it because the boxes are the same for playing leads so there isn't any big surprises.

• Members

Open tunings, I think, are the way to go if you're playing slide solo. I can't quite fathom how you'd get anything more than three notes of a chord playing slide in standard tuning. When I'm playing with other folks, though, that doesn't matter. What does matter is to be able to pull a slide out of your pocket and just start playing.

• Members

The dobro does sound good but if it sounds that good, turn it up!

Maybe the recording could use a little more icing on the cake, but I sure like the honesty and integrity of the piece. Very refreshing.

I also play slide in standard tuning, usually in Blues stuff but also in other songs. When I remember to bring a proper slide, I wear it throughout the song and just play it in between using my fingers. However, I often forget my slide, so I've used shot glasses, small flashlights and last month, an e-cigarette. The best response I get from a slide solo is when I use a beer glass - with beer in it. It's pretty sloppy all the way around, but the audience hears with their eyes...

• Members

We managed to record four songs -- first take off the floor with a few post tweaks. I play dobro on all four, but slide only on "Country Radio" and "Susan Push." Here: OPMBB 160131/

I play only dobro with these guys. Keeps it simple.

Back to slide:

This is, by a fair margin, my favorite slide:

link but no photo

(note to self--never count on being able to place photos at HC -- sheesh! )

• Moderators

I have used a bic lighter in a pinch..not great, but serviceable, and yeah, a glass, a beer bottle several times and even the keyfob for my car...

I often play slide in standard, because retuning is time consuming at the jams I co-host. I have used open E, open D and open G over the years, but I find open G the most amenable to getting minor chords with some 'ring' [often fretting notes beind the slide].

I recently bought a cheap lap steel [Rogue, $79] so I can 'retire' my Magnatone [circa ~1953, like me]. As much as I like playing slide, lapsteel is just so much more so...and best in open tunings with heavy strings.

• Members

I did something like this on my sequence for "Forever and Ever, Amen." Jerry Douglas did the original recording and while I can't play slide anywhere near that well, I used my Variax with a Dobro setting and combined fingers and slide for a solo that works well for this tune. I play slide on solos for "Where I Come From" and Red Dirt Road" when doing the electric guitar show.

• Members

Here's Ry Cooder (who is a great slide player himself) with David Lindley on slide.

I play this on lap steel in open E tuning or on a strat with the high E tuned down to D. This tuning gives me a Major 3rd between the third and second strings and a minor 3rd between the second and first strings. The minor third interval is good for harmonized descending diminished lines like those popularized by George Harrison.

Archived