How do you deal with requested songs?

stratmansblues

• Members

I have been playing solo acoustic shows for the last 7 years. I am wanting to know how others deal with requested songs at gigs? I have about 150 songs consisting of mostly pop rock and a handful of country tunes. I always get the most obscure songs requested and when I say I don't know it, the person gets offended and walks away. The sad thing is, I truly don't know the song they are requested or it is something I am familiar with, but not able to sing with my limited vocal range. I was bringing song lists to gigs for a while and that seemed to help, but wondering how everyone else handles it.

• Members

If I k ow it I may play it or at least a verse chorus if it fits in with the set, if I don't and know another song by that artist or a similar song I will play that. If there is a big tip in the offing I will play it after the break and download it onto Onsong and give it a go

• Members

Oddly enough, I find that the pushiest people are often the cheapest and least appreciative. If someone comes up, requests a song and then berates me for not knowing it, I'm actually happy I couldn't do it for them. Not much joy in pleasing a jerk! However, if someone comes up and politely asks me if I take request, and then names a song I can barely play, I just might try it. It's even better if they're polite and they throw some money down.

Just tonight, I got a request for 'Round Midnight by Thelonius Monk. I was so happy to get a request for such a great song, I searched my memory banks, and was at least able to play a guitar chordal arrangement for a minute. Couldn't pull off the "C" section, but I got most of the "A" and "B" sections.

Sometimes if I don't play a tune, but I know it, I'll sing a few lines and then say, "great tune but I just can't recall it at the moment". I will also suggest substituting another tune. Last Saturday I had a request for Mercy by Duffy. I sang a couple of lines and then went into Give Me One Reason by Tracy Chapman. That seemed good enough.

A little OT, but I just stumbled onto Oscar's version of 'Round Midnight by Monk. Oscar didn't play the "C" section either, but then again, he didn't need to...

[video=youtube;N7yazIH4rAI]

• Members

Here's what I usually do. Requester: Hey, can you play "tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree?" Me (with a smile): "Man, I love that song but I don't know it". It seems to help if you're agreeing with them before letting them down. The wrong thing to do is look at them like they're 'effin' crazy and tell them you hate that song.

Or you could wing part of the song as suggested, but then you might look like a amateur trying to do a song you don't know. It's all about having the right attitude and being gentle when turning down a request.

• Members
Here's what I usually do. Requester: Hey, can you play "tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree?" Me (with a smile): "Man, I love that song but I don't know it". It seems to help if you're agreeing with them before letting them down. The wrong thing to do is look at them like they're 'effin' crazy and tell them you hate that song.

Or you could wing part of the song as suggested, but then you might look like a amateur trying to do a song you don't know. It's all about having the right attitude and being gentle when turning down a request.

Just so. Keep in mind that most audience members know as much about music as you do about cyberkinetics. So, when after a set of songs from the 1930s, a pleasant woman comes up and asks for some Jimmy Buffet, especially can I do "Margaritaville," I say "I'd love to, but I don't know any songs from after 1950." It's a lie, of course, and I could perform the damned song if I wanted, but it's nothing to do with what I play publicly and would inevitably turn my gigs into the all-too-common grab-bag of "keep the customer satisfied" which is not what I'm about. I'm more about "keep the satisfied customer," which is different. If they ask for something that fits the gig and that I can play well, then okay.

A couple of our most-booked entertainers do the "I can play anything you ask for" game. Some folks love it, but I don't go to their gigs anymore. Boring under-rehearsed versions of random songs that I've heard done poorly too many times before.

Shaster: Monk is at the edge of what I play, but I'm not adept enough at piano to do them properly without a lead instrument or vocal. Maybe someday I'll tackle something from Carmen Sings Monk.

[video=youtube;OhEvh61I0gM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhEvh61I0gM

• Members

If I know it I usually will play it. Maybe not at that instant, but at the next time it makes sense. I got a request for Chicken Fried at my last gig, which I've had loaded in but never played for whatever reason. The crowd was light but engaged, so after i first said I didn't know it, I just said screw it and went for it. It was extremely easy, which I knew already, but I was also surprised at how naturally I was able to add the harmonizer in. I got a lot of tips for that one because I was genuinely preparing them for me to crash and burn and did the opposite. That's the exception. Usually I do what Bob suggested. Once in a great while if I truly think the song is a great idea but I don't fear that it's too highly revered to risk sucking at it, I'll load it in at break and go for it.

• Moderators

As a solo, I try to avoid requests, unless it is something I already know, because I will not do a mediocre version of anything to please one person in the room. It just isn't worth it....even if it is written on the requisite $50 bill ;)

If I don't know it, I may offer another song by the same artist. If I know the song, and it fits where I am in the show, I will do it right then, or if it will mess with my pacing, I may tell the requestor to 'stick around, I do that in my last set' [sneaky way to keep them in the room].

If it is totally out of left field [some people really don't get it at all]...I can't do a convincing version of 'I Kissed a Girl' by Katy Perry...or 'Back to Black' or 'Rehab' by Amy Winehouse [i actually had to learn those to back up a singer recently].

I did get a request recently for 'Hard Times' by Ray Charles, and I am working on that one, because it is a great song that I like, and I didn't know how to play it...and did some other Ray material in lieu, which seemed to satisfy the lady who asked.

I had a request for 'At Last' a while back, and I never could keep the middle part straight [but now I can!], and offered 'I'd Rather Be Blind' instead, and I got away with it, but 'At Last' is the 'Etta' song people request at weddings...and I don't do weddings...anymore.

• Members

I don't know any if the new pop music if the last 12-15 years. It sucks and doesn't get requested often. I do know some Zac Brown and newer country that I play. Ironicly, even stuff like Thinking Out Loud didn't go over for me, so I dropped it. Other than that Is say I know 70% of the requests asked of me. I do not get many of what I would consider obscure requests so I have to ask, how old are you? Im going to guess young...

My advise is don't try to pander to eeeveryone. Make sure you know the biggest hits from ten Beatles, Stones, Eagles, Zep, Floyd, Bone Jovi Journey, Van Morrison, Mowtown, a few country, Johnny Cash, Sager, James Taylor, a nice selection of good 90's the big hits of the last couple years.... Happy, Zac Brown, etc... Then play a bunch of stuff you dig... I don't and wouwouldnif I were you, give a rates bummm if I don't know their BS obscure crap!! Just be great at what you do... YOU ARE NOT A WIND UP MONKEY OR A JUKEBOX!!

• Members

If I don't know it:

The first thing I do is make them feel validated.

I might say, "Oh, that's a GREAT song, I know it but I just don't know how to play it. I wish I did, but sorry, I don't. I only know about 550 songs and I'll put it on the list of songs I want to learn."

Then I'll write it down on a pad I keep on stage. This works most of the time and whatever gets requested the most, gets learned the fastest (provided I can cover it).

By enthusiastically agreeing with their song request, you bond with the customer. You've told them they had a great idea, and that makes them feel like their request is good, they are important, and they are with you, not against you.

If a person requests a few you don't know, and if you feel they have a good sense of humor, you can tell them that we are playing, "Stump the audience". We know 550 or so songs our of the 10,000 top 40 hits since 1955 and if you guess one, you win, and we'll play it for you.

Of course, you always get the belligerent soul that can't be satisfied. Depending on their personality and/or state of inebriation, you have to handle each one as a separate case. If you bond with them first, the difficult people are rare.

If I do know it:

I'll play it. Either immediately if appropriate, or tell them I'll work it in after a few other requests (and I do play it when appropriate).

The audience is your friend, and the reason why you are there. You must respect them and their taste in music, even if it doesn't agree with yours, or if they don't understand the song is too obscure to work up.

BTW, I've worked up some very obscure songs for regular customers, and will play it without being asked. This really makes them feel important, and that's a good thing, because they are important.

We just learned "Another Day In Paradise" for a guy who has been requesting that for months. He was visibly pleased when we played it, and for our weekly gig on the Indian River Lagoon, it's very appropriate. We're basking in the sun while the rest of the country is probably cold or freezing. (Definition of cold: anything under 70 degrees Fahrenheit).

He puts a couple of bucks in the tip jar, but while that is nice, it's neither demanded nor expected. No hard feelings if he doesn't tip. As long as he likes it and comes out to the club, spends money so the house is making a profit on us, everything else is extra.

We learn a few obscure ones for ourselves, and mix them in when appropriate, so why not for a good customer?

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

We play "Piano Man" without a piano. I worked up the backing track, Leilani sings the high octave lines, I sing the low ones, and play the harmonica part on the wind synth. It's been requested enough for us to learn. But we aren't playing a blues jam, but a variety music act.

• Members

Way back in the 1980s we were playing on a Cruise Ship. We got a few requests for "All My Exes Live In Texas" so that week when we docked in Miami, we bought the tape.

We didn't know it, but the next week the entire ship was booked as a reward for insurance salesmen and saleswomen from Texas and Oklahoma that sold over a million dollars of insurance in the previous year.

The "All My Exes" requests started coming in immediately.

I told them we'd have it learned by Thursday (Thursday was a slower night on the ship where we didn't have to compete with the 'buns and feathers' production show in the main auditorium).

We had it learned by Tuesday, but waited for Thursday simply because I wanted the most people who requested it to hear it the first time we played it. I'm a showman, what can I say?

Well the lounge we played in held about 125 people. We played it 3 times and made well over $400 in tips that night. Back in the 1980s, $400 was worth a lot more than it is today.

It was good luck that we bought the tape that week.

It's good to have a story with a happy ending.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

For instrumental gigs (which is mainly what I do) I love taking requests, it makes the gig more interesting and gives me the assurance that I'm playing what people actually want to hear. Plus it helps to set me apart if I can play a wide range of material from memory. People seem to notice that I don't bring in books or charts etc. It's just my gimmick (in lieu of brilliant, virtuosic playing) so I'm gonna work it.

For vocals it's the opposite and I can identify with the OP. I'm very limited and the only positive feedback I get for that is to learn John Prine, Tom Waits material etc.- songs by artists who really can't sing that well. lol.

• Moderators

The issue here was not the song, but the venue and conditions under which it was requested [i recall most of it, used to do the guitar and harmonica parts back in the 70s when it was on the radio.. and BJ and I have some old friends in common from Massapequa]. But it is not a blues song, and there are too many verses...;)

• Members

Why not be proactive. An announcement along the lines of:

"Let me know which songs you like best, and I'll learn more like them."

​Implies that at the very least their requests should be for songs similar to those in your current repertoire.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have an on-line, smart-phone request list, but that didn't work out. It's probably not up to date anymore because nobody used it - but then I play for an older audience (short hours, better pay, and more job security).

We just did an annual mardi gras party (our 8th in the same club) and asked for a few requests ahead of time. Learned "Iko Iko", and "Walking To New Orleans" -- definitely keepers. Of course after so many years we do "Saints", "Toot Toot" and songs by Huey Smith, Frankie Ford, Louis Prima, Louis Armstrong and a few others too. They seldom get requested but usually get appreciated.

Now someone requested "Happy Trails To You". He's a good customer, so I think we'll put it together.

The couple who books us at club we play about 18 times a year asked for "I Don't Look Good Naked Anymore", and "Good Times" - definitely learned in a hurry.

BTW, "I Don't Look Good Naked Anymore" went over quite well at the Nudist Camp gig.

Another asked for "Oh What A Night" (4 seasons) so that went on the list.

It's job security.

I always figured if you manage to stay on stage long enough, the public will tell you what they want to hear.

Our audience members have very varied tastes. I find it very interesting to create backing tracks and play/sing different kinds of music and make them sound as if a band that only did that genre of music learned them. It keeps me on my toes, and keeps my ears and chops sharp.

Insights and incites by Notes.

• Members

my luthier friend in tallahassee, does a " song menu" . he has several laminated " menus", much like at any fine eating establishment, upon which he has several hundred tunes listed in somewhat of an order. he keeps a few sticky note pads and some pencils in his gear and uses the materials as another way to press the flesh at gigs. " hey man! new faces! cool! here's a bit of what we do...blah, blah... "

obviously not my flavor but it works great for him and i figured with some of youse giuys being more traditional approach...

:)

• Members

I have about 150 tunes I have sequenced in Pro Tools that sound great, to my ear. Occasionally, I will get a request and if I can pull it off, I may do a bit of it. I learning new stuff when a client requests it or the song is by an artist I know will go over in a variety of gigs. The sequences take a lot of time to work up and I never get to play even 80% of my tunes, even on a six hour long gig.

Archived