R.I.P. Lou Blair

Shaster

• Members

Lou Blair, manager of many bands here in Canada, including at one point or the other, Fosterchild, Loverboy, Alfie Zapacosta and many others, passed away recently. He was a big guy with a big heart, and helped me score one of the few sessions I did that actually made it to radio.

I tell ya, they're dropping like flies these days...

Here's a recording I did with Alfie, back in the day, that Lou had a hand in. Man that was an eighties sounding guitar :) However, I always liked the chorus of this song.

[video=youtube;FJEZdwxFaZs]

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I really like this, albeit from a nostalgic 80's ear. Reminds me of a cross between Robert Palmer (Power Station days) and Corey Hart, among other notable 80's hits. You're right; the chorus IS catchy! Makes ya wonder why some songs were huge and others....not so much. All about hype and placement, right? Thanks for sharing!

• Members

Yep, it was definitely an eighties vibe going on. I was using an Ibanez Roadstar guitar completely retrofitted with Seymour Duncan pickups a Kahler bridge and IIRC jumbo frets. I was also using a parametric EQ to carce out 630hz for even more of that slinky eighties guitar sound. Those were the days... Now I either use a Guild Bluesbird or an Ibanez 335 knock-off. Totally different sound, although oddly enough my first real electric guitar was an original Guild Bluesbird. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Archived