Going Loopy

steve mac

• Members

I am singularly hopeless at using a looper live, at best for a couple of songs I do a simple chord progression and do a bit of lead over it. If I am successful then the crowd don't even realize I am even using one, I sometimes watch in awe of the skill of loopers on Utube who may spend five minutes or more to build their loop, however I wouldn't want to watch them live do more than one or two tunes this way.

But, I would love to in the middle of a set do this. Ah well more practice until the missus tells me to shut up...again.

• Moderators

There is the issue...building a loop live takes a bit of doing...and if you can't be totally engaging doing it, don't! This guy has multiple loopers lined up, and he builds a great total sound with very cool controls and ability to 'break it down', and puts enough 'show' on that it isn't a turn off; but if he did this with every song? I'd be paying my tab and taking a hike....

I actually tried something like this using the RC-30 plus the Ditto, where I could segregate teh 'drums/bass line'...way too long a ramp up, which was kind of why I was using the RC30 memory originally as 'tracks'...and finally, I have abandoned it for just the simplicity of the Ditto, and am using it sparingly. To be frank, it was all just getting too 'gimmicky' for me, although I loved the fuller sound, it really detracted from what I consider the 'intimacy' of being just a soloist. Even the Beat Buddy gets used sparingly...although I am about to 'upgrade' the software library again, and may find some more 'useful' things in there, but still, it seems a bit of a cheat.

• Members

Yep ^^^

The fellow in the Uptown video is quite skilled at looping, but halfway through, it started to remind me of those acts on the old variety shows, who would spin and balance plates. I would rather see him using tracks or a drum machine. It just got too exhausting to watch. He certainly has the looper thing down though.

• Members
II sometimes watch in awe of the skill of loopers on Utube who may spend five minutes or more to build their loop, however I wouldn't want to watch them live do more than one or two tunes this way.

That guy is obviously quite skilled with the looper, but the slow build thing DOES get old after more than a couple of songs.

I posted this over on the keyboard forum earlier today. Might be more appropriate here.

• Members

To be fair to the lad in the uptown video, I find out t hard to get much enthusiasm into my vocal unless an audience is in front of me. In truth it's a real problem for me when learning a new song as I usually end up trying it in several keys as my range practicing is far less than when playing at full tilt.

• Members

I play a keytar (Roland Lucina) with a Jamman Solo XT for a loop pedal. I do a mix of live looping and using pre recorded tracks on the Jamman for longer tracks or where I need multiple loops in a song (because the jamman clears a loop if you switch tracks unless you save it). Mostly I busk so it does not matter how long I take to build a track up since my 'audience' is mostly just passing by but I have done a couple of bar type gigs and while I did do a fair bit of live looping I did tend to alter my set list to include a) more vocal songs) and b) more pre recorded stuff.

Also when I am I busking I can stretch a song out forever if I feel in the mood, just keep swapping verses around and adding in solos but for bar gigs I felt like I needed to cut them back to more reasonable lengths (which is why I need more material LOL!).

• Members
To be fair to the lad in the uptown video, I find out t hard to get much enthusiasm into my vocal unless an audience is in front of me. In truth it's a real problem for me when learning a new song as I usually end up trying it in several keys as my range practicing is far less than when playing at full tilt.

I totally agree. I usually practice unplugged, which doesn't help. I'm just lazy in that regard. It's not like the fish stick is that hard to set up. But that's also why I don't use more of what the Helicon Play Acoustic can do, like looping, because I don't really practice much with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I saw someone use a looper last night, and it wasn't annoying! The only things that were looped were rhythm guitar and bass drum sound. And of course he only used it on select songs. He also had several effect pedals used on the acoustic guitar once in a while, which broke up the usual guitar strumming folk songs.

Archived