Unlikely Covers

ptkbass

• Members

Ladies and Gentlemen;

So I put Ozzie's "Crazy Train" in my solo set. I'm sure I'm not the first, but....fun. It transposes well to E (from A) even with the need for open strings, and I can cop most of the guitar mini melody parts with my thumb. No sir, I don't do the Randy Rhodes solo in the middle, just the chords for that. It goes over well because nobody expects it, everybody knows it, and it's a well written song.

So I need more tune ideas like that: well written songs that nobody expects to be done solo. What you got up your collective sleeves?

Peace, Paul K

• Members
Ladies and Gentlemen;

So I put Ozzie's "Crazy Train" in my solo set. I'm sure I'm not the first, but....fun. It transposes well to E (from A) even with the need for open strings, and I can cop most of the guitar mini melody parts with my thumb. No sir, I don't do the Randy Rhodes solo in the middle, just the chords for that. It goes over well because nobody expects it, everybody knows it, and it's a well written song.

So I need more tune ideas like that: well written songs that nobody expects to be done solo. What you got up your collective sleeves?

Peace, Paul K

Consider singing a couple of choruses of Pink's "Get The Party Started" over the Crazy Train riff and see how the audience responds. You might be surprised at that as well....

• Moderators

damnit, Steve, I do that one too, although the ONJ parts still sound like Travolta... ;)

I really like the bassline, which doesn't get done in my solo version...so it is kind of weird...it's electrifyin'!

I have been known to toss in some Alice Cooper [billion Dollar Babies], and the Four Lads [istanbul]...but Ozzy? No...

• Members

Okay, enough about Lee Michaels. Back to me.

I suspect, now that I think on it, that my most unlikely cover is this song. I've played it -- a close cover of this performance -- for my jam band and Diane, my duo partner. The guys in the jam were chin-dropped and gobsmacked -- the term "bizarre" was bandied about.

I LOVE the melody of this song. And the polished silliness of it all.

[video=youtube;68gCwBy4ElA]

• Members

Restaurants seem to be a big thing for 'retired' muscians. Locally, Zal Yanovsky of the Lovin' Spoonful and Cliff Edwards of the Bells both owned restaurants. Musicans and boxers, they like to own restaurants. And hockey players.

• Members
Restaurants seem to be a big thing for 'retired' muscians. Locally' date=' Zal Yanovsky of the Lovin' Spoonful and Cliff Edwards of the Bells both owned restaurants. Musicans and boxers, they like to own restaurants. And hockey players.[/quote']

Everyone eats at restaurants, so many people think they all know how to run one.

• Moderators

restaurants have the highest failure rate of any small business...and with the front end costs so high, and a fickle public, public health requirements, licensing, etc., I can see why most fail in the first two years. I know a few people who succeeded, but they got burnt out on the time it takes [months on end with one day off a week if you are lucky], most sold their restaurants after 5 years...and took a loooong vacation.

• Members

Worked at a restaurant owned by a hockey player. Fantastic food, staff and location, but their overhead and initial investment killed them. Too bad. It was a steady Jazz gig Tuesdays and Wednesdays for a couple of hours, and paid very close to scale but in cash, with free beer - my dream gig.

My most unlikely tunes that get positive reactions are instrumentals like James by Pat Metheny. I also do Human Nature (instrumentally) by MJ - got a $20.00 tip for that one last Saturday. However, I use tracks so it's "cheating".

Further to off the beaten path, these guys do unlikely covers - might be able to do them solo.

[video=youtube;x3E2HeAfcdM]

Archived