Festivals vs. playing in bars

Bob Dey

• Members

Anyone playing festivals with their band or solo? Is there more money in playing festivals or is it more for exposure? I played one years and years ago but it was in a time slot when hardly anyone was there. The pay wasn't good from what I recall.

I'm asking about festivals because of changes in the band I was playing with. The original premise was that we will just have some fun playing Blues and other songs that we can jam on without much rehearsal needed. Recently the other guitar player decided to get serious about making the band into a refined business, perfecting everything from equipment to the music. The plan is to play festivals and make big bucks. I'm wasn't sold on the idea at all.

• Members

I've found that festival pay varies but generally, a slot at a festival will pay as much or better than a one night gig at a club/pub. There doesn't seem to be any real correlation between a festival's prominence and the pay, except that sometimes big time festivals fill in their roster with low paid local performers.

This summer I played the Vancouver Jazz Festival (twice), Pride Day, a Rib Festival and the Burnaby Blues Festival. The big bank sponsored Jazz Festival paid the least, perhaps because they ran over two weeks of music and had hundreds of performers - so I guess they were spreading the love.

There are folks who do the festival circuit in the summer and then make do until it rolls around again - back to the clubs or whatever. There are also the older "B" level, and former "A" level Rock acts, that do what some call the "geriatric circuit". These gigs are the summer fairs and exhibitions that hire bands to spice up, and wind up the day. These are another source of revenue for low level acts as well. BTW folks call it the geriatric circuit because most of the featured bands are, getting on...

Submission usually starts early for festivals, usually in or before January for the summer season. You'll need product, a website, videos, press reviews and so on, but if you're short of some of that you could try anyway. And don't be afraid of not having a Grammy nomination or whatever; lots of festivals need unknown (read inexpensive) opening and filler acts.

IME your product and videos are more important than rehearsing the band (except for the songs on video). If you actually get the gigs then you can spend your time on the band. Much the same as producing a play. You don't rehearse it until you have your backing in place.

• Moderators

Played plenty over the years with the band, some were strictly for exposure [radio station sponsorships/live airplay], and to put on the resume, but most paid pretty well.

The plus side: no set up issues, sometimes a great backline provided [i typically prefer to bring my own amps, though], great sound systems, pro sound team, big stage, appreciative audience, hobnob with major acts in the 'green room' [i refuse to name drop, though], free food and booze...

The down side: there isn't one!

• Members

Interesting and very informative info Shaster.

There's a festival every weekend in my downtown area every summer. Geriatrics (lol) include Buddy Guy, Lou Graham from Foreigner and Rare Earth. The small surrounding towns usually have one festival per year with local bands. I can understand musicians being tired of the bar scene and wanting to play for bigger crowds.

• Members

IME your product and videos are more important than rehearsing the band (except for the songs on video). If you actually get the gigs then you can spend your time on the band. Much the same as producing a play. You don't rehearse it until you have your backing in place.

This is true in almost all aspects of this business to a very large degree. You get the gig by selling the product. Then you go in and have to deliver on the promises made, of course. But unless you get the gig in the first place, it doesn't really matter how good you are because you'll never have the chance to let anyone know, will you?

Archived