Life can take some funny turns...

Voltan

• Members

i remember seeing a far side type cartoon of a goofy cymbal player addressing a conductor and what appears to be a violin soloist, announcing that he is leaving the band to persue a solo career... Oh the irony...

I've just pulled the trigger on another reasonably large gong. This one is an unlathed 40" "Mother Tesla", which is pretty much just how they come out of the oven... It's a perfect companion to the 44" chau gong and my three primary Himalayan singing bowls and tingshas... A good friend of mine that lives just down the lane from me was some kind of rocket scientist for nasa designing airframes for space shuttles or something and we are building a very sweet stand that will accommodate my gongs and bowls, lightweight and portable, movable support arms that allow the gongs to rotate or adjust as required, and all of this fits in the Prius with room enough for my PA including the sub...

I have played churches, meditation groups and gong bath/ vibration therapy, (private and public, single to groups of 50 to 60 people), a local festival, on the radio, in drum circles... And I'm getting requests for more of the same at every turn. Do you give lessons? Can you help me find one to purchase? do I come to you or do you come to me? Did I mention yoga studios/ instructors? Well, here's the rub...

In another lifetime I was a music therapist working in state hospitals making nothing for money but the kicks were free.. Sorry...

Truth was, the system wore me down, not the clientele... And lately, I feel drawn in that direction again... But this time on more or less my own terms... To be more correct, on each individual clients terms and needs. This isn't quite what I was aiming at a couple of years ago when I started doing the solo/ duo thing and in some respects it's uncharted waters, but I guess I should have seen it coming...

• Members

Thank you! But I can't take much credit for it... This has been coming, all the stuff I've been doing, like not doing song lists, complete gigs done with improvised material..stepping stones. These are ultimate " in the moment" instruments... It's difficult to describe the depth of meditative states or the relaxation response that goes with the experience. It's been known for years as a treatment for hypertension that's incredibly effective and the research that is going on right now is looking promising in many areas (such as the vibration from the sound of the human voice literally destroying cancer cells while healthy cells were boosted to optimum efficiency in repeated, completely documented real time studies.)

as uncle Albert so eloquently put it:

“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.”

this follows along with a film quote from 1948:

It followed from the special theory of relativity that mass and energy are both but different manifestations of the same thing — a somewhat unfamiliar conception for the average mind.

if he is correct, all is energy, all indeed is vibration. Everything sings! This is a form of reality which resonates strongly for me.

Archived