How do you keep MIDI cables from falling out when you move your gear?

Notes_Norton

• Members

I posted this in the Rack sub-forum, with no decent results.

Phone jacks have spring tips to secure the plug, XLR has the spring loaded latch, 5 Pin DIN cables have no such locking mechanism.

I do one-nighters. That means moving the rack again and again and again and again and again (that's a good thing). I have 3 sound modules in the rack that are connected with MIDI cables (in-thru-in-thru-in). Not often, but every once in a while, a 5 pin DIN cable falls out leaving one or more of the MIDI sound modules silent.

I have them arranged in the rack so they are easy to see and easy to re-attach, so it really isn't a big deal. And, like I said, it doesn't happen often. But when it does, it seems to happen when I'm set up in a tight space and it's a real PITA to get to the back of the rack.

I thought about tape, but with the heat generated from the modules, I don't want the mess.

Any ideas?

The engineers got the important part of MIDI right, it's longevity is proof of that. But they were in-house and not on the road, so they didn't understand this particular occurrence. They used a common computer connector of the day, and in the lab or in the studio, that works just fine. On the road, there is that occasional problem.

I've been dealing with it for over 30 years now.

Like I said, it isn't a big deal, but if anyone has the answer, it will make life on the road a tiny bit easier.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

With the exception of a guitar rack I recently put back together, it's been a while since I've dealt with racks and wiring. Back in the nineties though, I had twelve rack spaces of gear - one four space and one eight space rack. I can't recall having midi connector problems, in fact it was more likely to have tip/sleeve connector issues. One thing I did do was to use the shortest connectors possible, both for midi and 1/4". That gave the best strain relief (not that midi cables are heavy) and helped visual trouble shooting. IIRC I had a bunch of one, two and three foot connectors. The really short ones were blue. I would often zip tie cables together to keep things even cleaner.

I'm wondering if your cables and/or input and outputs are old and have a little play in them. I can't remember if I used to slightly crimp the outer shell of the midi cables, but somehow that scenario comes to mind. Not saying it works, and not even suggesting it's a good idea, but who knows...

Also, if you have room, leaving a couple of rack spaces open allows a hand to fish around from the front of the rack albeit in the dark - okay forget that one!

• Members

Thanks.

All except the input lead are short, and I have it clamped to the side of the rack so it stays put.

I thought about glue, but sooner or later the cable will go bad, and need to be replaced. That's a definite, and will probably happen as soon as the glue dries ;) Murphy's law.

I do one-nighters, so the rack goes in and out of the van 4 times per gig. If I had a locking garage, I could make that two ;) but alas, it comes in at night with me where it can be under the umbrella protection of the alarm system.

It's a slow month, so I've re-wired the rack. I got powered speakers, took the power amp out, and moved the synth modules that used to be in a separate 4 space rack into the main rack. This makes setup a little easier as I'm only schlepping one rack case now.

I've never had a phone jack or xlr come out while schlepping. Only the occasional 5pin DIN. I'm thinking about devising something with Velcro, but the plans are still half baked.

Doing one-nighters, simplicity of setup and teardown means time saved.

Notes

• Members

I only have on MIDI cable in my guitar rig and haven't had any problems so far. But I think Daddymack is onto something with super glue. Don't actually glue the cables in, but if you apply a light dab and let it partially dry so it won't permanently join the connection, it should help hold the cable in. Sounds like you have a loose fit as Shaster was suggesting. I used a small amount of super glue on my tele's (loose) pickup selecter switch, but kept working it so it wouldn't get stuck in one position. It tightened it up.

Maybe experiment with an old midi cable first?

• Members

I figure you just get some string, tie it snug to the base of the connector (on the cord side) and then run that string somewhat taunt to a piece of gaffer tape on the unit. Gaffer tape will leave a minimum of mess. Not fancy, but the right taunt-ness should keep the plug in place.

Archived