What Now?

O.G.T.V.

• Members

Hello everybody!

Just writing as a solo/singer/songwriter asking myself what to do in this point of my career. For many long years I used to be a guitarist for many bands and artists. At the same time, I was working on my original material, but didn't have the chance neither budget to launch my career. Last year at 23 years old, I launched myself as a singer/songwriter. Did 17 gigs on the first year. 2nd year (2015) things started slow, but I managed to sing at two Relay For Life events at primetime. Did 4 more shows (2 public & 2 private), and after them I traveled to Atlanta for a month.

I have been booked since January for a November private show, got reconfirmation on summer, but now I haven't made any official live apparitions since July 5. I did promotion once again since I returned to Puerto Rico (where I'm from), and not even ONE call. At least there's interest in Atlanta for me*

I'm wondering which right now is the next step. I do want to record my EP, but I don't have an official band with me. I have considered recording some solo covers and even originals, and post the audio online as a demo for people. I have a Windows XP desktop, a Windows 7 laptop, and iPad 2 as recordings tools. I have considered buying USB mics, and interfaces for recording; but I lack experience in that department. I would like something I can record voice and instrument (guitar) at once.

Should I invest in home recording, visit a studio for guidance, invest in advertising or what do you think should be the next step?

People like what I do, but I don't see much of a follow-up. I only had 3 back to backs shows with 3 different employers. After them, nothing more; but at least we keep in touch.

Well...looking forward to your comments. I appreciate any help or guidance you can provide me.

• Moderators

First time out...use someone else's studio. Pay attention, make sure they explain what they are doing...so you can set yourself up next time.

Rather than release an EP, I would concentrate on getting a video presence on youtube/vimeo. Selling yourself at 23 is going to be all about your sound AND your look. Don't do the schlocky livingroom video. spend some time on the audio tracks[ and yeah, use a band, just make sure your performance is dominant], then put together an engaging video synched to the prerecorded material. Do several...and make sure they are absolutely KILLER.

Armed with those, get your business cards printed up with QR codes to the videos [plus human readable text]...and get them into the hands of anyone who might hire you.

Get out to any open mic nights in your locale, and network...if people dig your stuff, they might refer you some gigs, offer to duo, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello ''daddymack'' & ''steve mac''. I'm writing today to give a follow-up on my situation.

After making promotion on multiple towns and cities, I finally got booked at a local (seems popular) place in town. I was the final artist to give a performance at the old venue, and the 1st artist to present itself after the inauguration event of the new venue.

There has been interested in my project, but some have mixed feelings about it. Another venue owner went to my last acoustic gig and considered it a ''loud show''.

I was hired to play/sing a double tribute show last night. I was booked Wednesday, gig was on Thursday. The tribute wasn't connecting enough and people start leaving the place, until I ditched the tribute and did my own thing. 50's rock n' roll, latin ballads, latin rock, etc. That really worked and connected with people.

I have seen people asking me for ''nueva trova'' songs, a genre I'm not fond of. Should I keep the show as it is now (variety show) or should I dig in to that genre? Maybe learn some songs of the genre, but no more than that.

I have been feeling a little depressed by the pressure of doing the job that owners want me to do, more than what I really want to give to the people. I also want to play my original songs too. A lot of mixed feelings at the moment.

Also! About the Youtube part... While is not much, I have found videos of me playing/singing live, and made a playlist:

Well...looking forward to your input about the situation.

• Members

At the end of the day the owners of the venue are the ones with reputation and money on the line. They are employing you to perform as they want, you can either accept this or simply not take the gig.

Perhaps you could reach a negotiated compromise such as can I play a few of your songs and see how they go over. But ultimately they have the final say once you have agreed to take their wages,

i looked at your vids and they are certainly full of energy,

The best of luck with your endeavors and keep us informed.

• Members

On requests for a particular type of music.

You can play for yourself, you can play for other musicians, or you can play for the general public. In either case, if you're good enough, you will get the audience you asked for.

I play just about anything the audience asks for. I do have my limits and there are some things I refuse to learn because if that's what it's all about, I'd rather not gig. But they are few and far between.

I do enjoy playing different genres of music, as they require different ways of expressing myself.

You have to balance the work, the requests, and the audience with your fun factor.

I worked on Cruise Ships in the 1980s and San Juan was our long port so I got to meet and listen to a lot of musicians. There was a single act, Junior Laredo (I think that was his name). His English was about as bad as my Spanish so we didn't talk much but connected as musicians. He played a variety of music but his salsa with 1980s technology blew me away. He had two drum machines, kicked bass pedals, played the piano comping arpeggios with his left hand on one synth, the horn parts on another synth with his right hand, went to the second drum machine for the rolls and kicks, and sang while he was doing all this. I think he had 5 brains and was truly amazing. If he's still around and doing a single, and you are near San Juan (or wherever he might be now) look him up.

BTW, PR has the absolute best Salsa music, even better than Miami and the wonderful Cuban immigrants that play there.

Back to the subject. Play what you like, mix in what the audience likes, and have a good time doing it. That's my advice - for what it's worth.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Moderators

Be very selective what videos are out on yt with your name. None of what I saw just now would be a 'calling card'.

Others said this too, and I will as well: You play what you get paid to play, or you play for yourself, and don't get paid. Give the audience what they want...the job is to entertain them, not to be self-indulgent.

Pay attention to the competition in your market...what are they succeeding with, where are they failing? Where can you fit yourself in and be different enough without being 'odd' [although, frankly, I love quirky acts!] that you can set yourself apart from the rest while still being accessible to the bar owners and patrons?

• Members

The videos are poor quality, but at least show where your talent is. I like your voice in the En Vivo video. You don't do quite as good on the Bon Jovi song. Learn from recordings and videos how to improve what you're doing.

Building a fan base would be a good idea at this point. Be friendly with people in the audience and get contact info (email) from those that really like you. Next, send out notices of where you're upcoming gigs are. This is a way to build a following and with a following you'll get more gigs.

You also need to get higher quality videos and recordings (don't we all?).

Archived