Why do we learn new songs

Jimbo_Keys

• Members

Just thinking about this the other day.

I need to add more [fill in genre here]

- True for me a lot, I've added quite a bit of country lately.

It's a song I've always wanted to do and I don't care if no-one wants to hear it.

- Yeah, and sometimes these turn out to go over surprising well (and sometimes a lead balloon comes to mind) .

I need to keep up with what's popular today.

- Not me ... I realized quite a while back that the audiences I play for don't really want to hear Lady Ga-Ga or whatever.

I get regular requests for this song or this artist.

- Yeah, call me a 'ho but I'm up there to please people ... so this is probably the reason for most of the additions to my repertoire.

Any others?

- Jimbo

• Moderators

I need a more balanced show...

I need some material suitable for children...

I am usually in the 'I always wanted to learn that song...' mode myself

I rarely find any of the 'modern' popular music very exciting or challenging, and gag me with shovel if anyone asks me to play a Taylor Swift song...

I had to learn 2 Amy Winehouse tunes to back up a singer last week...I was not familiar with her material, and now am relatively unimpressed...where did people come up with comparing her to Tom Waits?

• Members

1 at the specific request of the employer ie a first dance song etc.

2 for the challenge of learning a new style ie bluegrass, Travis picking etc.

3 to surprise the occasional younger audience member with a song recently in the charts.

4 to build repertoire in order to perform "theme" nights

5 to stop myself getting stale.

• Members

Sometimes, I will hit a chord and the sound just makes me think of a certain song and I start noodling and then decide to learn it.

Other times my wife wants to do a specific song.

The last few that we added, were specifically added to get a few more up-tempo songs into our mix.

• Members

Learning new songs doesn't even compute with what I'm doing right now. I suppose this has been coming for a while, totally improvised performances executed in a style or technique that appears to be, as far as I can tell, my own... I've looked for any info on the little twist to my technique and. If anyone is or has done this, nobody's talking or writing about it... I may have actually stumbled onto a very eccentric niche market where my inherent weirdness and lack of concern for the mundane world of structure can work to my advantage...

• Members

Almost all of my solo gigs are at places I play two to four times a month. For the most part, I learn new songs to keep the staff and regulars happy. I don't learn current songs because there aren't many new ones I like, and that fit my style. Theme songs are also ones I'll add. I learned Up On The Roof, because I used to gig at this rooftop revolving restaurant. I just learned Come Fly With Me, because I started playing at a hotel that's attached to the airport. Great changes in the bridge, although yes, the song is old, overdone and kind of cheezy - but again, love the chord changes.

I once did a three month gig, three days a week with the same bartender every night. I learned a ton of songs during that period, to keep from boring the bartender, and myself.

• Members

I think we need to learn new songs just because they are different. Here are the top 4 reasons

1. I really want to play that song
  2. I think our typical audience would like this song
  3. It's been requested enough times to make it worth the time investment
  4. A regular customer put a big tip in our jar and when we apologized for not knowing it, he left the tip in (he/she will get it next time they come in)

But do you really need a reason?

How about using the mountain climber's reason: "Because it's there!"

Insights and incites by Notes

• Moderators

PM me just the chord changes [in whichever key] for the bridge [the verse, as you well know, is fairly straight forward]..there is a lot of nice 'movement' in the bridge I am just not quite up to sussing out on my own...much appreciated !

I heard the Buble version yesterday..and I am sorry, but I cringed after so many decades of the Sinatra take, MB is just, well, talk about vanilla...don't get me wrong, he has a good voice and a sense of rhytym, but he ain't no Frankie...[on the other hand if Harry Connick Jr. would PLEASE cover it...he has the right sensibilites and musicianship...IMHO]

I actually do not like the over-production of this version, but Mr. S is in top form...his unaspirated [the nnnn's and mmmm's] sustains are just incredible, something, frankly I think you really have to 'have', not learn...

• Members

Okay daddymack, the file was too big so I thought it would be faster to type it out then post it somewhere - I was wrong... Obviously it's missing the dots but at least I transposed this one to C.

I'm not stating the title in case there are copyright issues.

[A] // Cmaj9 C6 / E-7 Ebdim / D-7 / G7 /

/ Cma7 C6 / G-7 C7 / Fmaj9 / Bb9 / Cmaj7 C6 / C6 F9 /

1st end / E7 A7b9 / D9 G13 :// 2nd end /C6 D7b9 G7 / Cmaj7 /

//Abmaj7 / F-7 / Bb-9 / Eb9 /

/ Bb-7 / Eb7 / Ab6 / Bb-7 Eb9sus4 /

/ Abmaj7 / Ab6 / Gmaj7 / E- /

/ A-7 / D7 / G7 G7sus4 / G7 Bb7/Ab F/A G7 // (previous bar, each chord gets one beat)

[C] // Cmaj9 C6 / E-7 Ebdim / D-7 / G7 /

/ Cma7 C6 / G-7 C7 / Fmaj9 / Bb9 /

/ Cmaj7 C6 / C6 F9 / E-7b5 Bb7 / A7b9 A7 /

/ D9 / D-7 G13 / Cmaj7 / D-7 G7 // D.C.

Note that instead of the C6 in bar one... you could also play / Cma7 D-7 / E-7 Ebdim / and so on.

So hopefully these changes are a little hipper than what you've got, but If not, then it's up to you to add the magic :)

• Members

I can't stomach almost anything new. My mind compares it to The Beatles, Billy Joel, Elton, Joni, Jame's Taylor, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, etc etc..and it NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER stands up....I have learned a handfull of newer country though....That said, I learn "new tunes" Which are usually older tunes that I always wanted to learn, are great, are for my band, out of genre like the Crooner stuff which I love, etc...I have so many tunes I my stable i'm fine with it and it hasn't cost me a gig. I do get the occasional request for Taylor Swift, new Maroon 5 etc..I just laugh it off and play a John Mayer or something:)

• Members

I sing mostly older songs -- 20s etc. -- and any given year is good for a handful of great songs and a smattering of good ones. The rest are potboilers. I doubt that's changed. But I understand the old songs fairly deeply and I don't understand the current songs much at all; there's the difference.

• Members

While we learn new songs, they aren't necessarily new songs, but new songs for us.

We just learned Gladys Knight's version of "Grapevine" and the Marley version of "I Shot The Sheriff". I think a Mose Allison song ("Your Mind Is On Vacation") or a Jethro Tull ("Living In The Past") might be next. That doesn't mean we don't learn actual new songs, but with our crowd, we don't do that often. "Happy", "Blurred Lines", "I Don't Look Good Naked Anymore" are a few recent ones we learned because either the audience or clients requested them.

I like learning new songs (and old new songs) because there is that period of exploration when a song is new to you, followed by peaking, and then pretty much routine. Then I like to put it away for a while and bring it out as an old friend.

• Members

Mose is not mainstream, but he is a great pianist, clever songwriter and a singing stylist.

I was in a group that did a rock version of Parchman Farm back in the 60s. It sold out our minor-league pressing, but it took too long to warrant another. It got scant radio play back when you could bribe DJs instead of program managers.

I think our weekly marina gig crowd would like a Mose song or two, but that's about all we'll get out of it. But we've been there going on 8 years now, so I don't mind working up songs just for them.

We do a versioin of "Shame And Scandal" in which I wrote a couple of extra verses myself, and we do a version of Winter Wonderland with tropical lyrics and they crowd loves them. It's a listening crowd with very few dancers, so anything goes there.

Archived