How dead WAS it?

Shaster

• Members

Lately, I've been playing this really nice lounge that has only one issue - very few patrons. It's very high end in a very high end hotel, but for some reason very few people go there. Maybe it's the $15.00 drinks (before tax and tip). Maybe it's something else, but it's been like that for years. The other strange thing is that there is only one person on in the lounge, and they have to retreat behind these locked doors to get any food, coffee, opinions or whatever, so sometimes there is no staff in the place for two or three or more minutes. Which brings me to my thread question. How dead was it? The other day it was so dead I was playing to no patrons and no staff. I felt pretty foolish, but I just kept plugging away, 'cause I knew they monitored the room via cameras, but it was pretty surreal. Only lasted for a tune or so, but creepy nonetheless.

As I said, nice gig, and I get requests for stuff like Bill Withers, B.B. King and even John Cotrane. They have a PA there as well. Keeping my fingers crossed that things will pick up, or the management that lives in a different part of the world won't notice things for a few months...

So, what are your "dead" stories?

• Members

Just been in Amsterdam and as always on the lookout for live music, me and the missus stopped in a little but cute bar. There was a group of four in and a solo guitarist/singer.

i went up to the bar to order two beers one dark, mine, the barmaid poured straight away and the other light she said she would have to go to the sister bar across the street for. At this point the other group finished their drinks and moved on, leaving just us and the singer in the whole place for a good ten minutes. He totally ignored us and just carried on singing whilst starring at the ceiling. A bit embarrassing all around.

A couple of years ago, I was in 6th street Austin, and every bar was rammed, so when I saw one with plenty of seats and good sounding live music, I rushed in, bought a beer and took a seat, not believing the lack of patrons, then the guy finished singing and treated the very few patrons in front of him the the most foul disgusting racist tired. Literally we all necked our drinks and walked out. I can only presume he owned the place.

Once in Beaumont Tx, we went to to a converted barn to see a band and they rocked, the place was full of diners and we where all having a high old time, but gradually the patio heaters started going out and the gas bottles were not replaced. By the time second set was about to start the two of us where the only ones left, we lasted another couple of songs and with a mime that we hoped said we would love to stay but are freezing, we left, leaving them playing to the waiting on staff in a big old empty barn.

I am am fortunate to live in an area that is starved of live music and so usually play to a fair crowd and as my act relies on banter I would struggle without.

• CMS Author

Seen too many sparse audience gigs, and have learned to show up late and scope the room. If there's any chance of being stuck there as the only or few, I won't go in....absolutely hate the embarrassment all around. Would rather play to nobody than be one of few people in the audience.

The other weird similar situation is what happens in outdoor gigs...namely the audience that won't be front/center. I've seen and played to audiences that are off to the side, as if to not commit. Weird.

• Members

My wife and I went out with another couple a month ago to a place in a recently refurbished restaurant with a lounge in the basement. It is a nice place and i wanted to scope it out for possible future gigs. It is located on a pedestrian mall with a number of places that have live music and seemed to be right up out alley.

That evening there was a trio playing - 2 keyboard/vocalists and female vocalist/guitarist. They are very good players and I was looking forward to hearing them. Another couple I know came in and basically joined us and that was it for most of the night - 6 people. The service was at least good. Towards the end of the night 2 more people came in. I felt badly for the trio.

• Members

Busking once (local town by invite of the 'revitalization' committee) I managed $3 tips in 3 hours and that was right at the end so it pays to hang in there! Just no people around the place at all. Nice little place but the revitalization effort was failing! Oh, and it was winter too so I was bloody freezing!

Band I played with for a while played a big warehouse type venue. Nobody there at all except up, the 2nd band (a trio) and the 'headliners that had traveled a good way to play. At least we were on first so we got to leave early and go home!

When I first started playing out (only a few years ago in spite of my advancing years) I played a local hospice place a few times, just me and the keyboard. God experience but many a time I played to an empty room for 40 minutes or more before any one rolled in to see what he noise was!

• Moderators

The cops came into a bar I used to work, and cleared out the whole place...just us and the bartender were left...he said 'if you want to get paid for the whole night, keep playing...', so we did.

One club we took on at the last minute to fill a cancellation by their house band...and when people realized the house band was off...they left...didn't give us a chance to even play...the owner tried to keep people in there, to no avail...that was very strange. We never booked in there again...but the owner really liked us.

back in the '80s, we used to play the lounge at a small airport, and it was usually okay, but almost everyone there was Civil Air Patrol...and several times they got 'the call' while we on stage, and teh room would empty out...best nights there were when they had their 'recognition' nights...200+ getting plastered....all promising they would not fly for 12 hours...

As a duo, I had a coffeehouse gig...and maybe four people came through the entire night...but as it turned out, some movie star was hanging out at a bar down the block and every one was in there gawking...sometimes I hate this town...

Archived