New Guitar Day

msmooth

• Members

Congrats, my gigging acoustic is an Ovation, not a lot of love from aficionados, but I have used it for the last few years. It has great electrics, plays almost as easily as an electric and the plastic back takes knocks and handles extreme temperatures well. I also get more positive comments on it from audience members than any other guitar (it's the custom elite).

Its not my favorite guitar but for gigging, it's just about perfect. Hope you get on with yours as well.

• Moderators

HNGD!!!

Which model is that?

I actually like the 'Adamas' style like that with the upper bout sound holes...

When my guitar company was starting out [before it fell apart], I had commissioned a couple of Adamas-style 'roundbacks'; the prototype was a massive disappointment, though, [my partner has the pieces still] but I am occasionally tempted to play one...they, at least to me, sound better plugged in than acoustically, which is kind of interesting.

I have a Fender Stratacoustic [steve Mac just missed that one on his visit] which I use for home practice, so I am not adverse to the 'plastic' backs, either, and have a non-wood Martin which I do gig with.

• Members

It is a 1778TX Elite T model. Not sure of the year. I know that Ovations are not in vouge, but that kept the price down. I also realize that it does not have the same acoustic sound of a Martin, Taylor or other fine guitar. It does have a nice "plugged in" tone and it is comforable to play. Since I always gig "plugged in" I can live with it.

I would love to have a nice Taylor (I'm really wanting a 614 12-fret with slotted headstock that I have played) but this guitar was 1/4 the price and I am not as worried about something happening to it at a gig. When I save some $ up, I may buy the Taylor to keep at the house, but use this for gigging.

• Members

A friend of mine uses her ovation work horse full time, five to six nights a week for the past ten years and aside from a little maintenance, it's still steady as ever... Life's too short to argue over what your guitar is made of, unless it's plastic... Haha!

• Members

Agreed. To mw the MOST important thing about a guitar is whether it stays in tune. My ears are very picky about in-tune guitars. I have gotten rid of some otherwise great guitars because of tuning. So Far the Ovation is staying in tune. Fingers are staying crossed. smiley-happy

• Members

Of all my guitars the Ovation keeps in tune the best. Mine is the larger size with the cut-a-way and I do wish I had bought the thinner model for comfort, not that it's bad but I am not the largest bloke.

I am just about to get a Taylor but only the koa mini as a couch poodler.

• Members

My Taylor stays in tune but I'm also running planet waves locking tuners, self trimmers... I wish all my guitars had them...

steve Mac, I played a mini Taylor two or three weeks ago that was all blackwood, like my 426 Taylor... I loved it too...

• Moderators

ask her how many purses and pairs of shoes are enough...that stopped Momma Mack for a long time...until I ran out of space [steveMac saw 'the closet', I can't get another instrument into it...and now the amps are eating up the floor space in the man cave...and I still am looking for another amp [there are already 11 +2 powered speakers and the Fishstick]...I must be...a guitarist with G.A.S.!!]

• Moderators

Speaking of Ovations...they are going back into production at the Hartford plant. Fender sold Kaman to Drum Workshop, based here in SoCal, and they had planned to move the operation to Ventura County [a stone's throw from where I live], but after looking at the original facility in Connecticut, they opted to keep it there......there is a good story on how a small group of Ovation employees kept the factory in 'ready to go' condition since it closed last year..

Archived