Once, twice, three times in a lay by

steve mac

• Members

on my travels in recent years I notice that there seem to be more and more female solo acts and the world is all the better for it. However, we hardly ever seem to get a woman's perspective on here. In fact other than an Asian lady posting here about a year or so ago and a Brit a couple of years ago, I can't remember any.

Maybe we should all start spraying Axe to encourage the fair sexes participation.

• Members

Political correctness is an insidious beast. I was going to post something about getting someone to put on a wig and post as a women to improve the gender ratio - but I won't.

BTW, lest someone gets upset, I have a trans-gendered fan that is most appreciative of my work and I treat her with the same respect and genuine appreciation as any other fan.

After all, one of my first gigs was a club filled with strippers, drag queens and prostitutes - I've had to keep an open mind ever since.

So... isn't this a conversation female solo artists would enjoy? What did you say? Not likely?

• Members

I guess I need to start traveling. I haven't seen a female solo act in ages. Those that I've seen either play piano or strum guitar and sing. Never saw one using BT or put on a show. Always laid back but usually great singing.

• Members
<...>After all, one of my first gigs was a club filled with strippers, drag queens and prostitutes - <...>

When I was 18 I had a job in a strip club. We played music for the strippers to dance to. Mostly 12/8 bump and grind songs. The star of the show advertised her "million dollar wardrobe" and it didn't stay on very long (She liked "Night Train" a lot). Anyway, at 18 with raging hormones, it's a good thing they had the band sitting down instead of standing (if you know what I mean) wink.png

My wife is a fine performer. Perhaps the best singer I've ever worked with and a decent guitarist and synth player. When I met her she was fronting a different band, and we became each others' fans. Both our bands broke up at about the same time, so I sad in my best faux-French accent, "Why don't we make beautiful music together." - 37 years later, we're still doing it.

She doesn't do forums though, so she won't post her perspective.

In the 1970s, I played at a lounge on Fort Lauderdale Beach a half a block away from The Marlin Beach Hotel, which was the Gay Hotel of the area. The lounge (Ocean Mist) wasn't a gay bar, just a singles hang out, but the gays would mix with the others. It's the first place I saw to men slow-dancing together. I admit it was a little creepy at first, but I really have nothing against consenting adults doing whatever they want. I was divorced at the time, and that meant there were more single ladies in the bar for me as it put two men out of the competition.

For me, male or female, straight or not, black or white, Hispanic or Asian, as a performer only three things matter (1) Can you play/sing? (2) Do you enjoy it while you are doing it? (3) Does what you are playing/singing appeal to my particular tastes.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Afterthought - I've worked in a number of bands where there were mixed male and female members. Unless a male/female pair came in as a couple, we always had strict "hand's off" rules for sex (we often acted like protective brothers to the girls). I've never played in a band with a gay male, but I guess the same rules should apply.

• Members
I've never played in a band with a gay male, but I guess the same rules should apply.

Probably irrelevant unless there are at least two?

The "hands off the girls" rule is pretty much irrelevant in my present band as well. Pretty easy rule to maintain when the guys are all much older and ugly old farts to boot...

• Members

After all, one of my first gigs was a club filled with strippers, drag queens and prostitutes - I've had to keep an open mind ever since.

One of my early gigs back in the 80s was at a drag club in Las Vegas. The band would play and they would have drag queen costume and miming contests during our breaks. Very surreal. Especially for this farm boy from California not quite used to such things yet...

I thought it strange that they'd want a rock/pop-metal band playing for a bunch of mostly old drag queens (disco or R&B would have made much more sense to me. especially in 1983), but they all seemed to enjoy the band very much.

• Members

Not to hijack this ultra-focussed thread, but this ad appeared in kijiji a day or two ago:

singer looking for band

[TABLE=width: 0]

[TR]

[TD]hey there new to KINGSTON good looking ginger also a daddy son 6 and daughter kyleah 10 in aug.just browsing and looking to chat so if so please get back

ps cheers[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

How crazy would you be to respond to something like that?

Archived