my duo partner lowered the boom on me last night.

Voltan

• Members

we finished up a gig and he said he needed to speak to me. he told me he loved playing guitar with my drumming but he feels that we're better served if i would start playing guitar and singing again. the vacation was nice while it lasted...

• Members

To me that sounds like a compliment.

It seems like he likes your singing and guitar playing. I know I would be bummed if I was playing guitar and singing with a guy and he says "Hey--maybe you stop singing and playing guitar and play drums instead."

• Members

I remember the days when all I brought to work was a Tenor Saxophone. Then I added alto and flute. Now I bring sax, wind synth, guitar, flute, sound modules, PA system mics stands and a zillion cables that tie themselves in knots when they are not being watched. My partner also plays guitar and synth so we schlep that too.

When I'm moving the gear, I think about what I want to leave home. But when I'm gigging, I wish I brought the bass, piano and drums too.

Maybe you can play guitar sometimes and drums at others.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Moderators

Vol, I think what your partner is really asking for is more support from you musically.

Just a djembe? Yeah, sorry, but, that sound gets old pretty fast and does not fill in well during solos, etc....and there was no excuse for you not to be singing and playing percussion! Vacation? If you want to call it that...

Figure out hte songs where it worked perfectly, and only use it there, and go back and forth between the djembe and the guitar...that could actually make for an interesting mix.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just a djembe, is a statement made without knowledge, my friend. I can fully understand this because I have encountered the same sentiment in the uninitiated. As an artist in various media I would argue that drums, especially hand drums like the djembe, can be every bit as expressive and musical as any other instrument. A properly played drum gives a sense of connection that translates into magic in the minds and hearts of your audience.

All this aside, I understand his perspective and respect his opinions, yet find myself needing to make decisions on the directions I feel drawn which as of late, would not include playing clubs and bars at all.

• Moderators

like I said...find the songs where the djembe works well. I love percussion, playing with drummers and percussionists always makes me happy [if they are solid and creative]...but I think there are proper places for it, and places where it may not work as well as something else...and sometimes the incongruity can actually make a song stand out for a good reason...sometiems not. It really is about selectivity...IMHO, of course...YMMV...and I totally get what you are feeling about clubs and bars...being back into it two nights a week recently is souring me, again, reminding me why I pushed my band to go corporate over ten years ago...but I need the $, as little as it is, until I can file for SS in December...it sux being poor...

• Members

Actually I'm doing a solo gig playing cymbals... ( I keep seeing the cartoon of the symphonic cymbal player informing the conductor). Seriously.. Ok it isn't a cymbal, technically it's a drum ( membranophone) according to proper classification, but we know them as gongs. And instead of doing a performance, per se, I'm performing more of a service in therapeutic sound. I was a music therapist for a couple of decades and I'm being drawn back into that world and quite probably in a research situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you're ever near, mooger...

And Dmack?, I just saw the comment....in another life I was a recreation therapist, at one point the director of recreation at a five hundred+ bed facility and being a musician and a music sensitive, I discovered I have a gift for working with what some consider "difficult" behavioral anomalies in people,( especially those with communication issues..). It was, in all candid honesty, {censored} remuneration for doing what is possibly the most important thing one human being can do for another, show a little bit of compassion , which from my twisted perspective is to offer opportunity for personal growth that can enhance the quality of life. I found myself in a system that cared more for the bottom line than the human condition. It doesn't matter that the clients you have are making progress and some are becoming functioning members of life again, there's obviously less paperwork involved when the status quo is maintained... It's probably pretty obvious why i don't haunt those circles today...

Archived