Solo Jazz Guitar

jwguitar

• Members

I play "jazz" piano and sing both solo and with a partner. I put "jazz" in quotes because really, I'm playing old pop songs fairly straight but improvising the accompaniment. That's not quite what I consider jazz, but people seem to grasp that notion better than "I play old pop songs." What you're doing, I'd consider jazz.

[video=youtube;n7RTM1MA_Dw]

• Moderators

nice stuff, found your version of 'Autumn Leaves', 'Home on the Range' and 'Buffalo Gals' as well....

where is Shaster? he's one of our jazz guys...and Bob Dey, too...they'll be along.

I've been accused of playing jazz, but I am really, like pogo, playing old standards, and swing, and in my case singing them, with a little improv, but certainly not the sophisticated finger style you have.

Where are you located? New England?

• Members

Love your playing! To me, that's one of the rarest of music skills- being able to play bass, rhythm and improve a lead on guitar simultaneously, on jazz standards. I sometimes duet (on piano) at the local country club with an excellent player who does that too, although he is a Chet Atkins guy and simplifies the changes somewhat. He still sounds great on Caravan and others.

I do regular solo piano gigs, instrumental pop with some standards and blues-boogie thrown in to liven things up. Background, wallpaper music etc. I also play a few times a year with a jazz combo or an upright bass player, about 50/50 standards and pop.

• Members

Nice playing jwguitar, and welcome to the forum.. I often do a solo with Jazz material, but I use tracks to free myself up (see an old clip below). Having said that, I briefly had a gig last year doing the "imitation" Joe Pass/Tuck thing, and recently, I've been taking a stab at doing on the fly comping and "playing bass" and singing at the same time - a bit mind boggling. I've had more success with the comping and playing bass while someone else sings, and have done a few gigs like that recently. It's still tough, and also tough on the hands. After forty-five minutes of doing that I start to cramp up, so I guess tracks are my necessary evil.

As well, I've found out the hard way that just playing solo Jazz guitar doesn't translate all that well to getting gigs. If I don't come off as George Benson meets Bill Withers, then the Hotel California gang will scoop all the jobs.

Are you able to find gigs doing what you do? Don't worry, if you say yes, we're not all going to move there :)

[video=youtube;JIP6OsXcvdw]

• Members

I play a variety of genres, Jazz included. I was almost doing a Jazz duo with another guitarist, but I've been too busy making money on weekends lol. But he's been working with another guitarist that gets quite a few jazz gigs during the summer.

• Members

Sounding good Shaster. What model is your axe? I've always slipped in a few jazz songs during gigs, but play mostly stuff that will get me paid. I did a gig with a jazz band a couple of years ago. We ended up getting about $16 per man at the end of the night. The guy I know gets wedding cocktail hour gigs once in a while paying 'up to' $400 for one set. He isn't a great guitarist, but markets himself well as a jazz guitarist and is willing to travel hundreds of miles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Nice playing jwguitar, and welcome to the forum.. I often do a solo with Jazz material, but I use tracks to free myself up (see an old clip below). Having said that, I briefly had a gig last year doing the "imitation" Joe Pass/Tuck thing, and recently, I've been taking a stab at doing on the fly comping and "playing bass" and singing at the same time - a bit mind boggling. I've had more success with the comping and playing bass while someone else sings, and have done a few gigs like that recently. It's still tough, and also tough on the hands. After forty-five minutes of doing that I start to cramp up, so I guess tracks are my necessary evil.

As well, I've found out the hard way that just playing solo Jazz guitar doesn't translate all that well to getting gigs. If I don't come off as George Benson meets Bill Withers, then the Hotel California gang will scoop all the jobs.

Are you able to find gigs doing what you do? Don't worry, if you say yes, we're not all going to move there :)

[video=youtube;JIP6OsXcvdw]

Actually I am able to work pretty steadily playing solo guitar. I very rarely play with others though I do have a few dates coming up where I will be playing with a duo. If you go to my website you will find where I will be playing next.

Archived