Hot Stuff

steve mac

• Members

With temperatures hitting 44 degrees C or 112 degrees F and staying that way well into the evening, patio gigs are just plain uncomfortable. I have to change shirt halfway through the set and by the end the web of skin between my forefinger and thumb gets rubbed sore with sliding up and down the guitar neck whilst covered in sweat. At the end of the night I am have the consistency of a damp rag.

Other than having a fan on me full time, and wearing as loose clothing any advice? I am thinking of trying tennis wrist bands to soak up sweat before it reaches my hands.

2da9e426487a6dae8dade1942f84f6b1.jpg.6d504b4cf33546de5ff4e6ccc15aad34.jpg

• Moderators

get yourself an evaporative cloth..these are the rage here...I just picked up a pair of 'chilly pads' a week or so back. They will help you keep cooler. Also, wipe your guitar neck down with a dry cloth if too much sweat gets on it, because as you said, it makes the neck sticky. Also, put a washcloth over the the bout where your arm rests, that will keep the guitar body from getting sticky as well. I have used wrist bands in the past, and they do help some [outdoor day gigs here can have me standing in 105+ for hours]...hydration only leads to more sweat, so drink slowly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just played a gig where the lead singer fainted from the heat. Amazingly she didn't hurt herself or my mic! We were under this plexiglass structure with a stone floor and the sun just got amplified.

I'm wondering if you can play shorter sets with more breaks. I just did a gig where we did 35 minutes on and 15 minutes off for a total of five sets in four hours. That wasn't dictated by the temperature, but I could see where shorter sets might help in the heat.

Archived