Hello

Stoneheart 57

• Members

Thanks jimbo! I play several different instruments but right now I'm concentrating on percussion. I just picked up a rather large Chinese chau style gong that I'm learning to play and I threw together a little improvisation to try out a mic and a few techniques that may be a bit unorthodox. Possibly original, I don't know as I'm just a new student of gong. But if you're interested,

• Members

A warning, it's warts and all, no processing, no effects, completely dry recording of a spontaneous improv with three tracks recorded in succession just for giggles. Two singing bowls and a set of tingshaws. Oh yes, there's a short bit where I play the aluminum plate my larger singing bowl sets upon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We affectionately call that "Lower Alabama". I did a gig in Fort Walton Beach about 20 years ago, and found the people up there to be very friendly.

I basically gig in Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin and Okeechobee counties, with an occasional gig out of the 4 county area.

I make my own backing tracks, and am in a duo with my wife http://www.s-cats.com

Welcome to the forum, it's a friendly place.

Notes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Welcome. So are you thinking of giving harpists a run for their money at weddings? I love harps, but it would be cool to walk into a wedding venue and see a gong instead of a harp - or maybe both, that would be a memorable duo!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

What a novel idea! I love it! I've actually started playing the gong at a couple places. One is from the monthly live radio gig and the other is an alternative medicine/ artist community that is only about half an hours drive. Today I was actually able to pull off the flesh on bronze type technique in a live situation... Without amplification!!!!! Not only did it work, but it worked for the audience as well... It's a less refined performance than mallets and friction wands.. One lady described it as visceral, primitive and tantric and then asked my opinions on tantric sex as a vehicle for personal growth and evolvement... Anyhow, the owner asked if I would be interested in doing two regular gigs a month with the possibility of getting into a little research on vibrational/sound therapy... It may be time to dust off the music therapists hat...

Archived