inadvertent counterpoint

pogo97

• Members

Played the patio at an upscale retirement home yesterday. Seven o'clock to eight and out. I played well, they loved me etc. But for the whole time, there was a bagpipe circle happening about a half block away. So I'd be singing "Heart & Soul" and hearing "Scotland the Brave" coming back at me. If I'd been in the audience, I'd have run away screaming, but they all stayed and listened, bless their souls. And we all had a good laugh at eight when the town clock started to chime and we had three things going on at once.

• Members

I think I would rather have live interference then canned. I recently played a restaurant, and was sure they had turned their break music on, even though I had just started to play. Turns out it was someone in the audience with a tablet, surfing YouTube - grrrr

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
Ouch! Worse than a jazz club I love going to where the quiet music is often interrupted by the subway running right below.

but that is the club's fault for picking a location that is not conducive to the entertainment....I used to play in the lounge of a local 'private' airport...planes coming and going all the time...finally just resigned ourselves to the facts...but we refused to play louder.

• Members

When I was in San Juan, there was a jazz club that wouldn't even run the blender while the band was playing. Good people.

What bugs me about bagpipes is that the drone pipe is intentionally pitched out of tune so that when the same note is being played, you can still hear two pipes.

When I play with poor intonation, it's unintentional and I'm trying to play on pitch ;)

Notes

Archived