Who have recently discovered

steve mac

• Members

i have just started "getting into" Hunter Hayes who previously I have dismissed as new wave country fluff. Now the missus really likes him so she plays his stuff constantly in the car and one song Storm Warning caught my ear so I thought I would try to learn it just for fun and discovered just what a skilled guitarist Hunter is.. That got me looking at his catalogue and there are some really well crafted songs in there.

So, who have you started listening to, maybe someone you have not had time for before.?

• Members

I just joined a popular, new country cover band replacing the lead guitarist, and, while I have always like country, I could never get into the whole new country thing. Still can't. However, I will say that Lady Antebellum and Little Big Town both craft really nice tunes with some interesting guitar parts...can't say I like the lyrics but I love the harmonies. I just learned Keep Me In Mind by Zack Brown band and really like both the song and the guitar.

I have learned 15 songs in the last month and am working on another 10 right now. First gig with them is about 3 weeks away. I should be OK - I hope.

• Members

I am recent convert to country music, I know it's not really a cool thing to admit to but I spent a while in the Deep South and Texas and I was impressed with the high standard of musicianship by local artists. I do wish the new stuff would quit with the beer and truck references, but in the main a lot of the tunes are plain good fun. I am partial to a bit of The Band Perry.

Good look with your new gig .

• Members

Thanks. Chain Saw by Band Perry is one of the new songs I am working on and I like it. Luke Bryant or Bryan or whatever his name is has some very nice sounding guitars in his band but every song lyric seems to be "girl in a pickup truck listening to the radio"...Probably maximizes air play and truck advertising on country radio stations.

• Members
… but every song lyric seems to be "girl in a pickup truck listening to the radio"...Probably maximizes air play and truck advertising on country radio stations.

http://happyplace.someecards.com/pop...c-is-the-same/

Historically, country music has tended to be pretty simple and direct and, therefore, "it all sounds the same" etc. And it kinda does at any given time. But it does change over the decades. And the best tends to stay with us and the other stuff tends to fade away.

• Members

I saw Chris Stapleton at The Opry last year and thought he was fantastic. I also thought he needed an additional instumentalist in his band (preferably ME) and assumed that he didn't quite have the budget for it back then.....

Alabama Shakes is a group I've known about for a while but have recently given them the time of day and have been richly rewarded for it....

• Members

Historically, country music has tended to be pretty simple and direct and, therefore, "it all sounds the same" etc. And it kinda does at any given time. But it does change over the decades. And the best tends to stay with us and the other stuff tends to fade away.

Same for all forms of popular music, it seems.

Archived