breaking up is hard to do

pogo97

• Members

My musical partner -- a very good female singer -- and I are drifting apart. My understanding of the arrangement was that I would be musical director and she would get us gigs. But she didn't book us gigs and basically tagged along on the gigs I booked. So I've been booking solo gigs and keeping them for me* and she's "had to pull back on the performing even into the spring and summer. Too much other stuff going on…"

That's all well and good but about a year ago we bought some PA equipment for the duo. I fronted the money -- as always -- about $750 and she was to have her share taken from gig money. After two gigs contributing her side of the pay ($150 total) she said she couldn't afford it anymore, so I shrugged my shoulders and got on with things. Now she wants to use "OUR" PA for a gig. I don't mind, but I do mind the notion that it's part hers. Especially when she will also expect to borrow the mic stands, cables, etc which are mine alone. I don't fancy the day when we have a conflict and both want the stuff on the same night.

What seems fair? Should I just buy her out for $150. Should I buy her out for $150 minus a nominal sum per gig for the duo using my PA equipment? Stop answering her emails? What's a fella to do? It's not a lot of money, but I'm kind of feeling used.

* solo: show up with piano, mic, powered speaker and play -- keep all the money

duo: rehearse, arrange transport, show up with piano, mixer and the rest of the PA, do the setup myself while she shmoozes and keep half the money

• Moderators

Give her one third of the rig [however you can figure that out] which was what she paid for....or..

Buy her out...it will be a much simpler, professional way to handle it.

If she wants to use your rig, she can rent it, [see what a similar rig rents for, and show her that!] or hire you and the rig...for a reasonable fee.

Then, when you play as a duo, take a cut off the top for the use of the PA . Oh, and teach her how to set up the mics/stands/run cables [the light stuff].

• Members

I'd buy her out.

I'd give her the entire $150 she put in and not worry about wear and tear or depreciation. It's the kindest way to break it up. That way she won't feel cheated and might feel you're being generous (which you are a little).

I wouldn't rent it or loan it though, but that's just me. My equipment is my livelihood and it isn't going anywhere that I'm not going. The odds of a problem are small, but if something happens, the consequences are huge.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I'm learning that one is never too old to make a mistake. That's okay - it keeps me from being an insufferable know it all. Well, sometimes I'm insufferable anyway, but that's another story.

Buy her out and then you're in a position of power re: lending or renting her (or not) the PA. On gigs you do as a duo, just provide the PA for free.

The last cooperative duo I did, I bought the PA (about $5000.00) and the female lead singer provided the truck. I did all the sequencing and she did all the "come on let's party" show biz stuff. We split the singing her 70% me 30%. Worked just fine. After the duo broke up, I added another ten grand to the PA, and now I've got a pretty nice rig for bands and such.

• Members

Now that you've paid her off and own the PA you're in a better position. You can now hire anyone you want as a side person and pay them a reasonable amount rather than half. Of course you'll have to be the one getting the gigs :)

• Members

Well, when I offered to "buy her out" of the PA, she didn't want me to. So the situation continues, but at least the ball's in her court. It's really not a big deal and we will still work together if the gig pays enough. She's in Vancouver most of the summer visiting the grandkids, so …

Shaster -- you need a singer? She's sung big band material since 1960. Quick study. Can't lift, though.

• Members

Well, if she doesn't want to be bought out you don't have to want to let her use the stuff.

Giving her back her full $150 is more than fair. I'd just leave the offer on the table and tell her you don't want her using what is mostly your gear because you don't want any additional wear and tear on it.

Yeah, it's a bit of hard nosed attitude, but it doesn't seem like she's really being all that fair about wanting full use of a PA she paid very little towards.

• Members

I've never been a fan of jointly owned equipment. The bands I've been in have always had multiple people contribute individual pieces to the PA. Typically everyone buys their own microphones, stands, cables, and monitors. For the FOH, one person might contribute the speakers, someone else the mixing board, and someone else the stage snake. That way no one person has to front all of the money, but if there is a parting of ways it is very easy to know which equipment goes with the person leaving.

For your current situation, I would insist on either having you buy her out for $150 or having her pay her balance on the PA ($225). I would not want to continue in the current situation. My preference would be to buy her out for $150, but if she wants to pay the remaining $225 to buy her half of the PA I think it would be difficult to say no without being a jerk. Good luck working things out.

• Members
Well, when I offered to "buy her out" of the PA, she didn't want me to. So the situation continues, but at least the ball's in her court. It's really not a big deal and we will still work together if the gig pays enough. She's in Vancouver most of the summer visiting the grandkids, so …

Shaster -- you need a singer? She's sung big band material since 1960. Quick study. Can't lift, though.

Probably don't need a singer but you never know. In any case I'd love to meet her if she wanted to swing by a gig. As part of the Vancouver Jazz Festival, I'm headlining a Gospel Comes Home show Wednesday June 24th - late notice, but it's at St Andrew's Wesley Church at noon. Playing at the Sylvia Hotel same day, as a sideman with Don Stewart. Working Friday at the church again (different band) and later, at the Rosewood Georgia Hotel in the lounge; solo. Tell her to come say hi anytime. Ask for Olaf - like the snowman.

Or I can introduce her to the PA head at the downtown L&M - I'll really get you guys set up with a PA :)

Archived