LIVE performance gear for medium-large indoor.outdoor venues

• Members

Hello all! I am new here, so forgive me if I just asked the normal newbie question.

I am presently looking at gear for a combination of using for my own solo/duet gigs, DJing, live performance, and the "K" word (its a business, I don't actually do it) I want to be able to reach 300-500 people outside if it is a wedding...or fill a medium to large room. I have looked at the BOSE L1 Model 2...but I had already looked into a Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2 mixer with QSC 12s on stands and 2 monitors...and getting either a BOSE compact or a smaller portable PA for the smaller needs in addition to the larger system. SOOOOOOOOoooo where it goes....suggestions, opinions, experience with either of these systems...OR is there a better combination that I can get other than these systems.

Thanks all!!!

• Members

Bose L1 compact is going knowing it's limitations which I'm now experiencing more often. For me, it's good. For the open mic I run, I'd mostly good. The exceptions -- a small band shows up using some backline, but my mics -- and they're louder than I can manage without feedback (I'm riding the board). Opposite problem, a vocalist doesn't know how to handle a mic and it get them heard I'm almost into feedback territory.

But if it's just me, or must singer/song writer types, for an indoor space, and up to 60-80 people, it's good. I've run a bass through it and there is a distinct drop off to it (bassist thinks it's too much but out in the audience it's harder to hear).

So, for my own playing needs it is good. As I look for more versatility, it starts losing out to a speaker on a stick and a single monitor.

So, if looking for versatility perhaps skip the Bose, and go down to 1 speaker + 1 monitor, and if can manage it for a solo or duo, then even a single speaker on a stick can suffice.

I'm playing with a larger setup in the next few weeks for an outdoors event, where I'm running some Yorkville equipment -- two powered parasource 12s for FOH, and two E10Ps for monitors. That should be good. The limitation is the board, where I'm only going to run 1 monitor mix. It's a Soundcraft EF8.

I can say the Bose is wonderfully compact, and has a really nice dispersion for a small crowd in a room. Downside is you want a mixer to go with it, because the inputs are just not up to any kind of scratch on their own. It's easy to carry, and if it's just me and a guitar, it's great.

But, while I like the Bose for what it is, a 12" speaker on a stick will get you there and be more versatile -- just a bit bulkier.

I think I've mentioned this on another thread recently, while I'm not a line6 fan, I've been really wanting to try their new speaker line. Two L3Ts for FOH, and 2 L2T, plus a mixer (either analog, or even M20D) and it looks like you've got a pretty flexible system. Though you could do better pricewise going with the QSC's and being smart with what you do. I do like shiny new things though...

• Members

Two QSC K12"s will beat a Bose IMO, probably even one QSC will. The Bose can work, but they have a limited range of usefulness.

The Sunday before last, I was in a four piece Jazz band plus vocals. The leader had a Bose L1. We were in a very small church with fantastic acoustics. There were maybe forty or fifty people there and his vocal (the only thing going through the Bose) carried well and sounded great. Last night I was in a rowdy downtown bistro, again playing Jazz, packed full of people. The singer (great voice and a good mic) had a Bose L1 - it didn't sound very good, at least not where I was standing, and was being pushed to the max. Then my daughter came down to the gig and commented on the "sad little PA". I trust her ears, as she's been my PA helper for many years.

Even though the price point is high IMHO, I have to admit that the Bose has it's place, but not where a lot of volume is needed, not typically with a band, and not typically outdoors, especially if robust sound is needed.

• Members

What you need is a scalable system. The problem with bose l1 is the price is really high just for one. If you want stereo, you need two. You should get 4 of the same powered speakers, and one or two powered subs.The bose L1 M2 does kick with the B2 bass module, but like I said you're gonna want two which brings the price up to around $7000. You could always just use one 12" powered speaker for small solo gigs, two for small to medium DJ gigs, and 4 for big rooms with 300+ people. QSC, EV, JBL, RFC, Yorkville and others make good portable speakers.

• Moderators

I resisted teh powered speaker on a stick for a number of years [as the regulars here know], but in teh past year, as other opportunites arose, my Fish-stick was not adequate. I'm not playing tracks or DJ-ing, so my needs are a bit different, but I run a pair of Alto 10" 600W on sticks, with a small passive Yamaha 8 ch mixer... so far, plenty of 'loud' for outdoor gigs without pushing the Altos all the way up.

To handle 300-500 people, yeah, you need a lot more 'throw', and with tracks running, at least one heavyweight sub [since bass is monaural, there is little value to multiple subs except for large distance coverage, but then you can get into the whole latency/cancellation/phase thing]. For something that 'big', I'd be inclined to go with the badass sub and 4 1kW [or more] 15", like Mackie Thumps, which would be a good scalable system. This still allows you to use a passive mixer for live performance.

Do need monitoring? That opens a whole different discussion. I'm able to get by with stand mounted 'hot-spots', which are easier to deal with than floor monitors [iMHO,YMMV], but they suffer from limited power capability...perfect for a duo, but just adequate in a band situation [if the stage volume is under control]. They will not compete with a heavy handed drummer.

• Members

The suggestion of scalability was a good one. I have used a Bose system a few times with a symphony and while I found it to have it's own quirks, I rather liked it in that setting. However if I was attempting to put a system(s) together for what you've stated, I would lean towards your interest in QSC boxes & subs and use the appropriate number per event.

• Members

Thank you everyone for the replies. it is such a catch all question..and the added problem is the fact that I range from small indoor solo excursions to mid-sized outdoor affairs...with larger opportunities only limited right now by my gear. I was holding on to the idea of a bose compact for small indoor solo stuff and small karaoke..but after research and the response, I don't think i'd be getting my money's worth. Therefore, I intend to focus more on a system that I can add to, grow with, etc. More like the powered speakers....but I am now more interested in adding the bass component and looking more into specific monitors. I can see where I could get by with 1 speaker for small solo stuff, 2 with a monitor for mid range indoor, 2, bass, monitors for slightly larger and mid range outdoor..and add 2 more speakers for larger things. I will have a mixer for the mid-large stuff I know...but now I am considering getting a less expensive, more portable unit for solo gigs....am i heading in the right direction?

• Moderators

Yep...someone else said it here earlier...scalability. Whne I started with the Fish-stick, I was strictly looking at solo work in intimate rooms, which it was perfect for. As things changed [outdoor events, larger rooms], it became clear the Fish-stick was not adequately scalable. I still have it for the simplicity/portability aspect, but now, with the 2 Alto 10s and the hotspots, I can handle anything up to a full band if need be.

• Members

Plan this carefully to avoid wasting money. Not sure what your definition of "small-medium-large" events are, but you might need to look at a different set of boxes if your events are outdoors with large attendance. The K12's will make excellent monitors or side-fills in that situation. This Pandoras Box will also include upgrading/adding cabling, mics, stands, etc........... What you believe to cost X dollars could easily require another 25-30% by the time the smoke settles.

Archived