This should be interesting....

the_big_e

• Members

I've been playing a few farmer's markets with my little solo act for the last couple of years (basically a keytar and a loop pedal) which usually goes down quite well but generally I am 'background' music.

Got a gig at a local brewery next Friday so it will be the first time playing to a mostly static audience on a stage as a solo act. My song list is about 60% instrumentals and because I play to a mostly 'passing' audience I can string them out for quite a while so it's going to be interesting to see how this goes. I figure that the worst that can happen is that it rains (it's outdoors). Anything above that is a bonus in my eyes!

• Moderators

Well, here's the thing...and you should be aware of this: Busking is a totally different form of performance than stage work, and it isn't all about the nature of the audience. It is now about how you keep that 'captive' audience entertained, keep them involved and keep them engaged. Your material has to keep moving, so 'stretching' instrumentals is likely not going to be the answer.

Have a great gig!

• Members

I too have gone from farmer's markets and background music gigs to performances...there is definitely a difference. You have to develop a level of comfort with the audience...for both you and the audience. As for adding to or diversifying your set list....an easy answer may be to find some simple songs that you can embellish with your instrumental solos and fills, or if you are strong vocally, show off your own pipes and still embellish and stretch those simple songs out a bit. I sometimes take a straightforward song, "grassify" it, and add a Carter style solo (since i'm usually a solo act) and then I can repeat a chorus at the end...this method with this particular genre of music can make a 2 minute song into a nicer 3-4 minute song. That doesn't seem like much, but if I add a minute to a song for a 20 song setlist...WAM! LOL. I also will add a song or two every now and then that is more comic relief...or audience participation...works wonders, the crowd loves it, and it can add as much or little as you and the crowd like. HAVE FUN!!!

Archived