Gear Aquisition Syndrome

steve mac

• Members

It's been a while since any new toys found themselves at the Mac household and I have an urge to get a new little guitar, I did try Martin and Taylor versions a couple of months ago but I think this may be top of the list for me.

essentially I want a travel guitar for my road trips but by all reviews this little beauty apparently comes alive when plugged in and is being used live by such luminaries as Keith Urban at his shows.

So what one piece of gear is anyone else hankering after?

• Members

I resist GAS pretty hard but…

I will probably shortly succumb to a set of vintage thin hi hats to go with my snare and brushes. Just feel the need to build up my percussion chops.

I'd also like an archtop guitar and a second ZLX-12P powered speaker.

Oh, I'd also like to take some Latin piano lessons. And pipe organ lessons. ;)

• Moderators

Oddly enough, after binging for decades, my GAS is, for the moment, in suspended animation. I am actually contemplating the dreaded GDP [Gear Disposal Process] as I am looking at a number of aged [and newer] pedals and small passive speakers and thinking 'I don't really need these anymore'...yet at some point n my musical passage, these were all crucial to my sound...

Big Muff Pi from the mid-70s

Mu-Tron III [w/o power supply] from the mid-70s

Digitech PDS-1002 delay from the late-80s

The Boss RC-30 w/power supply

The Digitech Vocalist Live 4 w/power supply

1x10 Kustom passive PA speaker [although I love driving this with my Champion 600]

10" Gemini passive PA speaker [originally bought to use a a monitor, but replaced by the HotSpot/Nady rig]

Needless to say these 'disposals' will undoubtedly spark the urge to acquire additional gear, likely a TC Play Acoustic...and maybe a new resonator A/E to replace my '03 Brownsville Reso-101 ...so although these are 'replacement acquisitions', they are still GAS fueled...

:bangheadonwall:...Let the circle, be unbroken...by and by...

[btw, anyone interested in any of these, please PM me]

• Members

I'm running pretty light on my GAS list :

Zvex Box of Rock

missing my bridge position single coil pickup in my Tele, gonna stick that back in

a Dtuna on my Ibanez

a Brown Box

.... we've got NAMM comin up in a couple of weeks, I'm sure my eyes will be wider with wonder

• Members

Why didn't the fellow in the video tune the darn thing - or maybe the intonation was out. I skipped through most of the video but around 2:47 he hits an "A" on the fifth fret of low "E" and it's really sharp. Okay whine over, time for some cheese.

Last Tuesday I saw Gray Sargent with Tony Bennett (okay Lady Gaga was there too) and it looked like he was playing a Howard Roberts Epiphone. I also heard he plays a Godin 5th Avenue and so I went to my local store and tried one out. Quite interesting. Plays and sounds more like an acoustic, but it's got two pick-ups. It was a very inspiring guitar, although maybe not all that practical. Even though I've got two Artcores and a couple of 60's Guilds, all of which work for my Jazz gigs, I want that Godin - or maybe I just want to play like Gray Sargent!

[video=youtube;6N_cv4X5gVY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N_cv4X5gVY

• Members

My GAS currently is a VoiceLive3 (which I may GDP of a Play acoustic to help fund), considering the price drop with the VL3X which I don't see myself wanting at all.

That, and I'm finding while I really like the Bose L1 compact for many scenarios, I'm contemplating a PA upgrade (shhh! don't tell my wife!). I'm starting to hit some of the limitations when I start using it for others -- people not knowing who to gauge mic proximity so in order to hear them I have to bring things almost up to feedback level, then I'm riding the board). That and I'd like to add some lighting to the rig. I've got a single wash, but I'd like two more light racks with some additional par cans so I can light on both sides of the stage, and use the wash on a backdrop.

I tried to sell my '80s strat to help fund things (it's a bit of a partscaster after 30 years), but the local used market is swamped so the prices are pretty low (convoluted story, it's a '80 JV body, with a Godin neck for the locking nut, H3 at the bridge and a floyd rose -- nice sounding guitar but I've never gelled with the floyd, so I've been trying to get an OK price for it).

I have sold off some gear recently to justify other purchases, but then used that to get a nice new Tele. :) It's red. crimson red.

Two years ago I got a Martin to upgrade from the Washburn I've been playing.

Last year, it was to get a Gretsch electromatic 5420T.

This year so far, I've upgraded my mixer. Still analog, but to a Soundcraft.

It's a functional "GAS" this year :) mixer, PA, etc. Okay, and the Tele. That doesn't count does it? I brought home a Squier CV tele, just to play around with. Then returned it, picked of a '50s RI tele (wife didn't like the look, hated the relic'ing thing). Then brought home the transparent crimson red american std tele. She liked it, so I kept it. Lucky man I am, it plays like a dream).

Damn GAS.

• Moderators

Yeah, my recent GAS was [almost] all about sound reinforcement ,and yes, although I still love my Fish-stick, it just doesn't work so well for outdoors or larger rooms, so I put together a 'lightweight' PA [the Yamaha passive mini mixer with a pair of Alto 10" 600W powered speakers, plus stands] which also sounds great with the Beatbuddy! Plus I picked up a second Sennheiser e-835 [remarkably good mics for the $, which had it not been for you people, I would not have even considered!], repaired two ancient mic stands, got the Nady Powered monitor to drive the hotspot, and in the midst of all the madness bought a used Fender Strato-coustic [for $112, that I am actually enjoying now that I have corrected some obvious flaws, mainly the neck joint].

All this allows me the flexibility to manage up to a four or five piece band with up to 3 singers in a live situation, which, the way things have been going lately, seemed a necessity. I've recently had two projects fall apart, and one that is rumbling along, but solo work is nil at the moment, unless I go beat the bushes...which I guess I need to do again.

Needless to say, this also exhausted my 'gig income', which is why a new 10" tablet and software is off the table for the moment, although, I am getting some paid rehearsals from that rumbling project [i'm just a hired hand on this one, the ones that fell apart were centered on me...go figure], so that money is being earmarked ;)

• Members

Lol! Can't post from iPad?.AGAIN! What a funny place.

I just got a 14" Tibetan singing bowl and yesterday pulled the trigger on a 44" chau gong... Drums and percussion instruments in the lead right now it seems...

• Members

Since I got my custom built Parker, I have lost all my guitar GAS. I can look at beautiful guitars, but my Parker just spoils me.

Same for my custom built MacSax. Sounds great, has very good intonation for a sax.

If they ever build a better Physical Modeling Synth than the Yamaha VL70-m I might get GAS for that to attach to my wind controller, but it seems like Yamaha dropped their interest in that.

I reserve the right to change my mind if something new passes me by tomorrow or whenever.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Nothing right now, as I have lots of equipment already. I recently bought the tech21 Fly rig 5 and I'm glad I did. Great for playing electric guitar thru the PA at those retirement facilities. Also makes a peavey solid state amp sound more like a fender tube amp.

And, I finally bought one of those little tuners that go on the headstock of the guitar. They came out in 2011, what was I waiting for??

Archived