Bag of Fails

steve mac

• Members

i remember starting a post quite a while ago about bags used for carrying gear to and from venues. The advice ranged from golf bags to purpose built (expensive) ones. Being a photographer by trade, I thought I was being smart, and frugal, by recycling an old large wheelie camera bag and it has performed reasonably well, but on its last trip out, it gave up the ghost.

So once more, any groovy ways of carrying your gear. (Photos?) it will need to carry my homemade pedal board which is about 18 inches by 2 foot with a depth (with pedals on) 8 inches plus cables and assorted bits and bobs but nothing large. The bag would need to be robust and have wheels, therefore maybe a way of strapping the board downtown stop is rattling around.

• Moderators

What else are you transporting? Mic stand(s)? I was looking at a used keyboard case recently [but it was too pricey] that would have accomodated all 3 of my mic stands and bases with plenty of space left over, and it had wheels...but I am not sure it is worth it overall. It wouldn't fit my 'hotspot' monitor setup that requires the extra mic stands, so I let it slide.

I'm still deciding if I really need to 'board' my new mini-rig. I see the convenience of pre-wiring and set positioning, but I have an issue with over all size, compared to having all 3 packed in a small case. I am still toying with the hinged board with velcro idea, but it is on the back burner as I am doing more group work lately, and less solos.

• Members

I carry the guitars in their respective cases and my Mike stand has its own "over the shoulder" case, so really it is just the pedals and the cables. I am with you about the need to fix them to a board, they do take up so much more space when transporting, but are so much faster setting up and breaking down.

• Members

Start smaller. Everyone has a different base set of needs and again the smallest lightest rig isn't always the most simple. A headset mic and in ear monitors eliminates a lot of hardware right off. A wireless guitar rig is a pretty even trade as far as weight but it's a nice touch and convenient in tight places. Most of that fits into my guitar case except for the receivers (which stay wired up to the board anyway) in the road case for the mixer. So two road cases, one small and one medium sized and my guitar. the larger case has 4" casters so I just set it out first, set the smaller one on top, lightweight speaker stands are in a small bag that carries like a backpack, so it's one trip from the car.

in reality I always end up having three or more drums, at least two guitars and often a banjo and several native flutes, a bag full of extra cables, ends, soldering iron etc, a drum mic kit, extra mic stands, and my iPad which I still leave in the car.

• Members

On the board is a small mixer, a TC Helicon Voicelive GTX (for vocals and acoustic guitar effects plus it's also a looper) an acoustic modeler and a Zoom G3X for its electric effects and also as a looper. I also plug in a Beatroot foot stomper to the mixer but it sits in front of the board.

All of the larger places I gig have their own PA systems, so all I have to do is turn up and run one lead into the house mixer and I am good to go. In smaller venues, I take along my Roland AC 60 acoustic amp which performs admirably in a coffeehouse type setting, but I don't do a lot of those.

Archived