LoLoLoL. No wreck in the news.

Voltan

• Members

Yes, I was in a wreck which totaled my Prius. It occurred last Thursday night/ Friday morning at approximately 5:00"am CST as I lost control while avoiding a couple cervidae that were trying to cross the road. The deer escaped without incident but I effectively removed the drivers side wheel assembly from the vehicle without setting off the airbags. Hence, I was slammed into the steering wheel suffering some contusions and a concussion which has left me with a headache lasting over one week and a very stiff sore back neck and shoulder, left side... MRI was done and wonder of wonders! I do have a {censored}ing brain and from all outward appearances seems to be {censored}tioning normally... For me... Thanks for letting everyone know!

• Moderators

V, think how much worse it would have been if you had hit teh deer...[although, free venison...mmmmm...] but a little battery operated beercan like a prius is no match for an adult deer. You are actually probably a darn good driver if you managed the avoidance maneuver in that little thang...I hear they don't handle well because of all the weight in the back end...something you don't notice under normal driving conditions.

Needless to say I am glad you are more or less okay..as to your brain functioning properly, well, many of us have had our doubts over the years....:wave:

• Members

Deer are a traffic hazard here, too. (Perhaps traffic is a deer hazard, too.)

And yes, "I had to swerve to miss a deer" is a legendary excuse. Some people with large vehicles and hard hearts say you should hit the deer just so there's no question that you'd been drinking and just lost control.

What a species we are!

• Members

I've nursed numerous injured and orphaned deer... Funny how fast one loses the taste for venison after just one fawn decides your their mom... We're in the business of saving animals and keeping pain out of their lives, and according to my philosophical beliefs, that deer has every bit as much right to be here as I.

"All life is sacred" isn't just a saying, it's a perspective on right relationship with Mother Earth to me.

• Members

I rented a Prius last time I was in the UK and other than a lack of space in the trunk due to the batteries, I was really impressed.

Glad to hear both you and the wildlife are okay, the worst we have here is wild tortoises crossing ( everyone stops to carry them across the road)

• Moderators

Having been in cars that hit moose [twice in Canada] and a mule deer stag over the years, I don't care how big a vehicle you are driving, short of a big rig, you hit one, your vehicle is a mess, and you are going to get hurt.

In the cases of the moose, both rolled up on the hood [1960s USA made V8 equipped station wagons...the first time I was in the rear facing back seat, the second time in the middle seats; got tossed around badly both times] and they both walked away. I didn't see the first one at all...the second was humongous! From my perspective, it looked like a woolly mammoth landed on the hood...it was dark, and foggy, and fortunately we were not going very fast.

The stag came through the windshield, the only thing 'lucky' was his antlers [nice rack, as they say] were above the windshield so only his back came onto the dashboard. I was in the passenger seat on that one, and got a face full of deer butt. Its neck was broken, our radiator was smashed in...tow truck driver took the deer as payment.

Since then I have swerved to miss cows, deer, dogs*, sheep,...but have never wrecked the car in doing so...knock on wood.

* I wrote a song about one incident, called 'I Hit Your Dog Last Night', a diatribe about people who let their dogs wander loose in suburbia. I actually slammed on the brakes and felt the dog meet my bumper just as I stopped. By the time I got out to look, the dog had trotted away, looking none the worse for the experience. I, on the other hand, was visibly shaken.

• Members

Well, officially concussion, contusions and a persistent headache that's more annoying than anything. I enjoyed the charger rental but it just reinforced why I went ahead and got another Prius. Luckily I had gap insurance as well as full coverage and we were discussing trading anyway. Same color, nicer electronics and amenities. Steve? I'm going to take a pic of all the gear I can get in my Prius.

3 guitars, banjo, three flutes, 4 QSC K model speakers, 12 ch Yamaha board, speaker stands, mic stands , cables, second guitar player w/ fender acoustasonic amp and still get 50 mpg or better to and from the gig.

• Members

Glad you and the deer are both OK.

BTW, if I didn't have to lug around a PA set and instruments, I'd love a Prius. The little tiny one with the battery in the middle (I hear they handle better and there are only two of us so we don't need a lot of vehicle).

There are deer in Florida, but I've never seen one on the road.

I did see the aftermath of a semi-truck hitting a bull. There were tornadoes with lots of thunder, the bull panicked, ran through the fence, and hit the truck. The truck driver was OK, the bull wasn't. I passed them on the highway about 5 minutes later.

I do try to miss wildlife (and other animals) We have Sandhill Cranes down here that have no fear of cars. They walk out on the road and just look at approaching cars. If yo honk your horn, they will raise their wings and do a dance instead of getting out of the way. Fortunately, people watch out for them, and very few get hit. Most road kill around here are racoons and opossums.

Notes

• Members

Glad you're relatively okay Voltan.

Although I'm only fifteen or twenty minutes away from a busy downtown, we have a few wild animals in my area - that's not including the teenagers! Yesterday my wife had to slow to avoid hitting a deer, just a few minutes from my house. We used to get deer right in our neighbourhood until they put in a four lane road up to the university. Now only the bears and cougars cross that road; and a few unlucky deer. Even with deer crossing signs in the area, they still get hit.

Re: moose... I might have told the story of when I almost hit a moose in Jasper Alberta - on my bike. I was out mountain biking and had just returned from the hills. Guess I was still in full out mode and was flying along this path when out of nowhere a moose appeared. Scared the crap out of me. Luckily I slammed the brakes on with plenty of time. He/she just looked at me like I was totally insignificant, and strode off. Man those things are big.

• Members
the worst we have here is wild tortoises crossing ( everyone stops to carry them across the road)
Yah, hereabouts it's mostly the dude turtles on their way to check out the ladies across the street so bro code says yah have to help out ;) - this lucky 100 y/o hooked up with Lucy Liu :eek2: :

fetch?id=31495837

• Members

I haven't yet had to do the swerve-to-miss-a-deer maneuver with the wife's Prius, but I think the car handles pretty well. At least compared to other lightweight compact cars, which is all the Prius really is. People who expect sports-car type handling are looking at the wrong car.

Do the little Model "C"s handle better? They might. But man, good luck even getting a load of groceries into the back of one of those!

• Members
Yeah' date=' you would think they would see the signs and know to look both ways...[img']http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/core/images/smilies/wink.png[/img]

HaHa... I was waiting for something like that.

But seriously, you would think that motorists, mainly out of of self preservation, would slow down when they see two or three deer crossing signs - but they don't. And where are these deer bowlers going in such a hurry? Just up to this restaurant on the mountain. Are they in that much of a hurry to get their bread rolls, or to get back home to watch The Voice... It's one thing when an animal comes out of nowhere, but it's another when there are a bunch of signs posted, and people still ignore them. Of course, children crossing signs and playground signs don't slow folks down either. If they won't brake for children I guess they're not going to brake for potential food.

• Moderators

I have noticed that squirrels will wait until a car is coming and then dash out into the street, like it is some kind of game...the opossums are just too dumb...'oh, dang a car is coming! I'll lay down and play dea-' SPLAT!!!

• Members
Yeah' date=' you would think they would see the signs and know to look both ways...[img']http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/core/images/smilies/wink.png[/img]

A local radio show was discussing the problem of car/deer accidents, and a woman called in and said they needed to take down the deer crossing signs so the deer wouldn't cross the roads anymore. :philpalm: People like this are driving cars on the road. That's the really scary part.

• Moderators

A local radio show was discussing the problem of car/deer accidents, and a woman called in and said they needed to take down the deer crossing signs so the deer wouldn't cross the roads anymore. philpalm.png People like this are driving cars on the road. That's the really scary part.

trust me, it ain't just where you are...the wife of a friend of mine who nearly hit a deer complained that 'the deer crossing sign was over a mile behind me...what the ---k was he doing there instead of where he was supposed to cross?!?!?' bangheadonwall.gif

And yet, we let them breed freely....the people I mean...

• Members

When we lived in Dothan my wife hit a deer and a cow. At different times in different vehicles. Luckily she was not injured. I think the deer made it, but the cow was hamburger.

Glad your ok Volt. Keep a check on the ol noggin tho, sometimes those concussions can have lingering effects.

• Members

It was probably the deer she didn't kill. Tell her next time to please complete the mission, failure is not an option... By the way, I missed the deer completely and have gotten several, " oh yeah, missed a deer huh?" responses...

Archived