New guitar last week...

Voltan

• Members

I've never been a huge Martin fan.. But the times they are a changin'...

Picked up a 1974 Martin D 12. It has the original case, some minor finish checking but seeing that it was my luthiers personal twelve, it sports stainless frets, a fingerboard that seems custom tailored to my fat little mitts, action like BUTTAH!!!!! All up and down the neck it is freaking purrrfection.... Original case, tortoloid pick guard, bone nut and saddle ... 15 minutes out of bed and that guitar is in my hands is becoming SOP... I have to say the volume and sensitivity is impressive but the thing that really grabs me is the clarity and even sound of every string, picked, strummed, no difference... Full and articulate...

The electrics are the LR Baggs anthem? Mic and under saddle blendable with volume and preamp. Snake wood pins... I guess pics would help...

I won't break your hearts and tell you I only paid $800 for it...

• Moderators

pics or it is a figment of your vivid imagination :)

Martin 12s rank among the few really reliable acousic 12 strings from the late 60s and the 70s [Guild is actually my 1st choice from that era]. Those Martins have a very recognizable 'ring' to them and are extremely articulate. You will bond wth that guitar to where it is a going to make all your other acoustics seem thin and somehow lacking...you have been warned ;)

• Members

I set it against my guild... I have to give a slight nod at this point towards the Martin... Balanced sound, timbre, sustain... Smoooooovenesssssssssessessssesssssss.........

the fingerboard is a fraction wider but I'm finding all the difference in comfort and playability for my fumbling mitts... And funny thing how controllable and consistent the harmonics are... How long did you say until that bond starts forming?

• Moderators

no one knows....it never happened wink.png

I worked in duos with a couple of 12 string players, and we always used to just say...'yeah, close enough'....

Voltan, the bonding begins almost immediately, as you have discovered...a good 12 string is like no other stringed instrument...it will make you feel good whilst driving you mad.

As to the posting from iPad...:idk:

• Members

Well, intonation is sweeeeet! The new strings are settled in and tuning is turning out to be relatively easy. I've needed to make three small adjustments in about 4 hours playing time and this morning she was still in tune as I left her last night... I'm really liking this guitar!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Congrats on the new guitar. I've played a1969 Gibson 12 string since 1972. It's just like the one you always see Gordon Lightfoot with. I did have an intonated bridge made which helped on mine. I love using my Peterson strobe stomp tuner. It has a special sweetened tuning specifically for 12 string. It helps a lot. There is something very ethereal about an acoustic 12-string. Enjoy your new friend.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm loving this one! It's set up like a ric, sort of...

the first three octave strings follow the primaries... The larger before the smaller on the downstroke, the g, and obviously the next two sets are the same as standard American 12's.... I think I'm going to have my luthier set up the craviola the same way.

Archived