Breaking a duo in to a solo....

Dingoist

• Members

I've been playing the last 3 years with a fellow from an open session I used to host in a pub. The pub closed down, and so we moved to his garage to keep playing -- we had a bassist but he dropped off. He isn't a great player but has a good voice. We've been playing together again live since I've been organizing a new open mic format event in our local town. It's a community event, geared towards getting youth playing and putting proceeds towards the local food bank.

My problem is that he includes himself / takes credit for songs I write (we do some of it together, but he isn't strong in composition), and his playing is pretty heavy strum handed. Often the things I write, become a "we" thing. Though we've gotten to a point where our vocal harmonies are great, and play off each other more instinctively, but the depths of the arrangements isn't to where I'd like them to be.

But his lack of guitar skill and other things prevent more creative orchestration, and while I like playing multiple instruments -- I feel that I'm stuck playing the main guitar and it's difficult to progress in to new territory since I have to pretty anchor and teach his playing (since he's not as strong as I am as a rhythm player, which is keeping me from being a better lead player).

His job takes him away from practice multiple times a month. And I'd really like to start pushing for a bigger, more creative sound. That and he refuses to play standing up, or invest in gear that will help us get into more venues. I own the PA, mics, etc. His gear is partially my hand-me-downs that I sell off cheap. :)

I'm getting near the end of things creatively, and professionally with this fellow. My day job is something else, which affords me the luxury of not needing to play for money, but for the local food bank and other charities. But I'd like to start growing this more professionally. So, I'm just trying to figure out how I can move on and get better. I've got several projects for recording originals, and being more inventive but I need to find other like-minded folk to work with.

I guess I should be the jerk to drop him, and extend my solo playing, but there's some allegiance to the time we have spend playing and practicing together. He's improved, but not to the caliber that I want us to be at.

I guess the best answer is to do both -- keep the duo going because it's fun to play out with others (or find a better player as a partner), and work on the solo material at the same time.

I guess it's the same melodrama from a band, but in a duo format :)

Oh, what to do? :)

• Moderators

Having had two recent projects disintegrate because other people couldn't keep up, I totally get where you are coming from. I also own the role of 'the bastard' in my blues band, and have had to fire three members over 16 years, and probably one more coming up later this year, if he doesn't shape up fast.

Be honest with the guy. Tell him exactly what you wrote here. He's not moving forward, he lacks musicianship, he's semi-delusional...and then start looking for other people. It is easier than breaking up with a girlfriend, although good music is, ahem, better than good sex in many ways...

• Members

^^ Good advice ^^ it's so important to be crystal clear as to your reasoning so as to be fair to all sides and also be quite clear in your mind of the required outcome, leaving no room for doubt in his mind. All the best with it and your future endeavors.

although good music is, ahem, better than good sex in many ways...

I always thought a nice cup of tea was better than sex, but if it's too hot it does make your willy sore 😵

• Members

Tell him you'd like to learn (insert new song here) and play (insert instrument here) on it. If he could learn to hold the song down on guitar by the next practice, that'd be great. If it doesn't go well, explain you've been wanting to grow more but feel he is holding you back.

Archived