Yesterday they were fab but now I need Help

steve mac

• Members

i am thinking of doing an exclusive beatles set, anyone else incorporating the Fab Four or has their day now passed. Anyone doing any less well know tunes of theirs that come across well as a solo player? At the moment I tend to limit it to just one or two a night but feel a full set of them may be an audience pleaser now and then. I guess I am just trying for something different.

• Members

Here are the ones I have in my songbook. All great songs in my world. But also look for "The Beatles Fakebook." It's pretty rich with brilliant songs, all carefully set in the original key, structure, etc.

Fixing a Hole

In My Life

A Little Help from my Friends

Nowhere Man

Things We Said Today

Theres a ton of Beatles stuff that would work well in a solo or duo setting.

Just a few suggestions...

And I Love Her

I've Just Seen A Face

Blackbird

Yesterday

In My Life

I'm Looking Through You

Michelle

Cry Baby Cry

I Will

Here Comes The Sun

• Moderators

add to that Girl, Norwegian Wood, Ticket to Ride, She's Leaving Home. Get Back, Come Together, I Need You,You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, She's A Woman, One After 909, Here, There and Everywhere and A Little Help From My Friends...that is pretty much a set+ right there.

(I used to do the 'B' side of Abbey Road...I Want You/She's So Heavy, Here Comes the Sun, Because, Polythene Pam, all that, through The End ...except Her Majesty...[Don't ask, just trust me...;)] but it is a lot of work, and non-stop!)

• Members

One that catches folk of a certain age: the flip side of "She Loves You," "I'll Get You." It wasn't on any of the albums, but my sister and her friends played it almost as much as the A side.

• Moderators

yes I will, I'll get you in the end, oh yeah, oh yeah...used to do that one, wow, back in the 70's because it was one of the 'obscure' F4 tunes

There are actually quite a few that were single hits/B sides that were not on original release albums...the ensuing CD releases have muddied the waters, though, and some were re-recorded for the albums or for single release, 'Love Me Do' for instance...

Few bands could boast that on most of their singles, especially later, the B sides were hits as well.

Love Me Do (single version, with Ringo on drums)

From Me to You

Thank You Girl

She Loves You / Sie Liebt Dich (German version of She Loves You)

I'll Get You

I Want to Hold Your Hand / Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand (German version of I Want to Hold Your Hand)

This Boy

Long Tall Sally [yeah, a cover, not really theirs, but released as a single]

I Call Your Name

Matchbox [yes another cover, and Ringo sang this one...]

I Feel Fine

She's a Woman

Yes It Is

I'm Down

Day Tripper

We Can Work it Out

Paperback Writer

Rain

Lady Madonna

The Inner Light [George Harrison composition, heavy on the Indian influences]

Hey Jude

Revolution (single version)

Get Back (single version)

Don't Let Me Down (single version)

The Ballad of John and Yoko

Old Brown Shoe

Across the Universe (from charity album)

Let It Be (single version)

You Know My Name

• Members

So, I am in the process of moving house and so time is limited for working up new songs at the minute, but just wanted to thank y'all for the suggestions and advice. I had a quick crack at Here Comes The Sun, which seems may be a winner, especially as it's so high up the fret board it is sonically like nothing else I play and I really like Don't Let Me Down but it's not really a tourist sing a long.

I do like the idea of a Uke but perhaps another time.

Again many thanks, I will work through all of the suggestions.

Archived