*Gulp* Attempting My First Tour

u6crash

• Members

Today I announced in my small social media circle my intent to go on a different kind of tour this summer. I'm attempting to play private parties (backyard barbecues, etc) in exchange for lodging and food and the opportunity to sell some of my artwork. If I were a marketing genius I could just post stuff online and people would buy it, but I feel like I've got to give in to the hustle and get out there and meet people face to face.

However, I could really use some help or suggestions on how one finds such gigs. When I was in college I lived in a house full of musicians and it seemed at least once a month we had some out of state band crashing in our loft after playing a show there. We once had a band from Japan staying with us. Is there an awesome website/forum for tour networking and announcements? Any input or feedback would be most appreciated and if you have any tour tips I'd love to hear them.

• Members

What kind of gigs are you doing now. What kind of music. What kind of art work. Could you get "normal" commercial gigs or is your music too eclectic? Do you have CD's and lots of promo - videos, awards, press, and so on?Are you a pretty good entertainer? A fairly accomplished artist?

IIRC there are some "house gig" websites but I'm not 100% sure about that.

You could try getting in touch with Art Galleries that might be agreeable to some sort of art and music combo event. Conversely you could try getting in touch with coffee shops that might want a combo event. Hard to say.

I live in Vancouver BC. We've got lots of tree huggers here or near here, and an idea like yours might work "up country" or on the various islands that have a bit of a counter culture feel, but otherwise it feels pretty kumbaya.

I guess you could look on Air B&B and see if you can couch surf for cheap, and then go after separate gigs - or tie the couch surfing in with the gig.

More info needed IMO.

Archived