A first for me (rude audience member)

steve mac

• Members

just got in from tonight's gig and on the table nearest me where a pair of couples who where chatting away, sometimes having a bit of a sing a long and then about an hour in I could hear a discussion about a song I had just done , i had just started the next number when suddenly one of they guys at the table got his tablet out and obviously had looked up the previous song on YouTube and had it playing full blast held out to the others, literally about four feet from where I was.

I understand people n the bar ain't at a concert and I certainly don't expect everyone's full attention but flippin heck that was just plain thoughtless.

Then loading out I sliced my finger on my tambourine.

Bugger.

• Moderators

Did you keep playing while the twit blasted his canned music?

Did you say anything to him after the fact, like..'Wow, you did that JUST LIKE THE RECORD!!! Amazing! Do you give lessons?'

Sorry about the finger, though, I know how attached you are to it [and it to you...]

Time to roll the edges on the tambourine zils. [yes, mate, that is the proper name for the jangly bits] ;)

Get a tetanus shot...you never know where those tambourines have been!

• Members

I did a gig last Sunday with piano, guitar and vocals. I do that gig six to eight times a year, but I usually am on the far side of "the stage" and away from the main audience area. Until last Sunday I had no idea how loud the audience was on stage right, where I was set up that day. The band is right up against the crowd and several times I could hear their conversations better than the keyboard player. We wound up turning up quite a bit, just to get over the crowd noise. they weren't rude or anything but when you're trying to read a chart for Holly Cole's I Can See Clearly (complete with an odd key change) and all you can hear is "man am I ever wasted" it makes things difficult. Great folks, but boisterous to the point of distracting.

• Moderators
and all you can hear is "man am I ever wasted" it makes things difficult.

as long as you weren't hearing the kb player say that, you should have been able to keep going ;)

I used to hear that from band mates all the time, which is why I stopped doing rock gigs.

• Members

I had a gig years ago--Christmas party for the botany department of Cornell University; 5 or 6 piece, not solo. I thought we were totally ripping it up. But evidently, that was the night that several future botanists had their first beer. Total mayhem, I tell you. "Play something good!" "You guys suck!" etc. It was totally surreal. Freaky. So, watch out for the botanists.

Sorry for your night. My inclination of what to do would have been to just kinda shut my mouth, maybe take an early break. Anything but throw gasoline on the dickheads' fire. I'm sure I wouldn't have thought of any witty things to say until the ride home.

• Members

Had a case where two drunk ladies asked us to stop playing so they could put a particular song on the jukebox. It was close to our break so we did. But they keep going on the jukebox, and the bar staff wasn't stopping it. When our break was over, the other guitarist went over the the jukebox with guitar in hand, and we started playing along with music, effectively blocking them from putting any more songs on the box. We went back to the normal spot when shortly after the ladies staggered out, and we got the jukebox turned off.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

In most cases, a heckler is simply looking for attention. I like to make them the center of attention for a few seconds but not in the light they seek. Remember you have an amplified voice and this gives you an immediate advantage as you can manipulate the situation. Botanists... Meh, tell them to get on their Krebs citric acid cycle and ride... Done to Ronnie montrose bad motor scooter... Tell them their mother put them thru school by fellating their teachers otherwise they'd all be phys Ed majors... Because they know for themselves that their moms aren't really all that good... And actually you had the perfect comeback to most outbreaks but it only works once per evening, "Ahhhh yes, I remember my first beer... Sort of."

Archived