Caribbean

pogo97

• Members

My next retirement home gig has, I'm told, a Caribbean theme. Much as I like Calypso, Reggae, etc. it's not a big part of my repertoire. I'll probably plump it up with some bossa nova and maybe even trot out the only Jimmy Buffet tune I do, "Nautical Wheelers," even though neither bossa nova nor Buffet are strictly "Caribbean." And some from my songbook:

REGGAE

Book of Rules

Stir it Up

I Can See Clearly

CALYPSO

Matilda

Old Man and Donkey

If You Want to Be Happy

CUBAN

Siboney

El Manisero (The Peanut Vendor)

BOSSA NOVA

Bossa Dorado

The Girl from Ipanema

How Insensitive

Manha de Carnaval

One Note Samba

Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars (Corcovado)

Summer Samba (So Nice)

Watch What Happens

Any other suggestions? I have a "plays old music" reputation to uphold, so the older the better.

• Moderators

Mentally playing my Harry Belafonte records...classic calypso stuff [i was in a calypso band {the only American, and only 'white boy'} in the mid 70s, but we mainly did covers of pop standards with steel drums]

Hold'im Joe,

Shake, Shake Shake, Senora [was used in Beetlejuice!]

Man Smart, Woman Smarter

Day-o [the banana boat song]

mentally looking at my Burning Spear, Jimmy Cliff and Marley records

No, Woman, No Cry

Rastaman Vibration

Marcus Garvey [maybe not for a retirement home-'no food to eat, no money to spend']

The Harder They Come

Roots Rock Reggae [This Is Reggae Music]

One Love / People Get Ready

there is also a whole 'salsa caribe' subgenre of latin jazz, but I am not very knowledgeable on this at all...Cuban and Dominican, merengues, boleros...

I see you do 'Manha de Carnival'...I have not played that in ages...I think I will go refresh that one...I like the Baden Powell version better than Joan Baez'...

• Members
Mentally playing my Harry Belafonte records...classic calypso stuff [i was in a calypso band {the only American' date= and only 'white boy'} in the mid 70s, but we mainly did covers of pop standards with steel drums]

Hold'im Joe,

Man Smart, Woman Smarter

Day-o [the banana boat song]

mentally looking at my Burning Spear, Jimmy Cliff and Marley records

No, Woman, No Cry

Rastaman Vibration

Marcus Garvey [maybe not for a retirement home-'no food to eat, no money to spend']

The Harder They Come

One Love / People Get Ready

there is also a whole 'salsa caribe' subgenre of latin jazz, but I am not very knowledgeable on this at all...Cuban and Dominican, merengues, boleros...

I see you do 'Manha de Carnival'...I have not played that in ages...I think I will go refresh that one...I like the Baden Powell version better than Joan Baez'...

Wow! What a great bunch of suggestions. I could do some instrumentally (as I'll do with any Spanish/Portugese songs).

"Hold 'em Joe" is a great song. I'd forgotten about it. I first heard it by Andre Toussaint from the Bahamas. Wonderful version from a wonderful album. Couldn't find it on YouTube but here's an iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/ho...86?i=606539484

I'll have to check out:

I learned "Manha de Carnival" from the soundtrack of "Black Orpheus," a fabulous film and a must for anyone interested in music at all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwn4vYR_3Y4

maybe not for a retirement home-'no food to eat, no money to spend'

yeah, nor Concrete Jungle, I suppose, or Burning and Looting nor Kinky Reggae

​it's interesting how the popular image of Bob Marley has been co-opted and modified since his death

there is also a whole 'salsa caribe' subgenre of latin jazz, but I am not very knowledgeable on this at all...Cuban and Dominican, merengues, boleros

That's okay. It's a mistake, I think, to cast too wide a net in case you can't pull it in. I have some depth of listening in calypso and reggae (a little depth, anyway) and a smattering of other genres but it's a big big sea, that Caribbean.

• Moderators

I remembered Manha from Black Orpheus [yes, probably the best Brazilian film of the 50/60s], and remembered the Baez version [and Astrid Gilberto's], with the singing...but I needed to learn it a few years back for a duet gig, and it was strictly instrumental, so the

version was more of my guideline, as well as the Luis Bonfa version. I learned it on steel string acoustic, a bit more challenging, IMHO, than on classical/nylon.

funny, now [years after learning it] I see there are tutorials and dozens of lesson versions...dang!

Marley's 'One Love' can be a great singalong song if done right, btw...

• Members

Anything Bob Marley, "I Shot The Sheriff", "Three Little Birds", "Is This Love", "Buffalo Soldiers" are some of the best received ones.

"Hot Hot Hot" (Arrow version, not the wimped out Buster Poindexter one) - Soca (sometimes Calypso songs can be modernized with a soca beat). "Big Panty Woman" is cute, but not recognizable in North America.

"Maryanne (Mary Ann)", "Man Smart Woman Smarter", "Shame And Scandal", "Rum And Coca-Cola" "Mama Look A Bo Bo" "Big Bamboo" "Jump In De Line" are calypso offerings. "Yellow Bird" "Jamaica Farewell" and "Island In The Sun" go well with an older crowd.

Notes

• Members

Last few times I played an old folks home, Jamaica Farewell was king. Girl From Ipanema and Yellow Bird were also very popular. Matilda was not so much - I think that one needs Harry to deliver it. A calypso version of Stand By Me would probably go over. Even, Dock of The Bay done as is. That tune rocks the retirement homes that I've played. Calypso versions of Beatles tunes could also work, as the Beatles (and Elvis) are big now, well back then, well you know what I mean...

Instrumentals: St. Thomas usually fits the "island" vibe. Blue Bossa is another easy one to consider. I don't know why, but Black Orpheus is not a go to song for me anymore. Maybe too many years of playing it. Maybe because I sang it at a birthday, or maybe a wedding, and realized that "a day in the life of a fool" was not an appropriate lyric. Good tune though.

Hot Hot Hot - well if you need to get a conga line started, that's the tune to do it. Just be careful with the old folks. Last time I started a conga line, I almost lost someone in the pool! Perils of outdoor gigs. And way back when, I did one on a harbour cruise. The whole conga line decided to go downstairs, and for what seemed like an eternity, I was playing to no one. They did eventually come back upstairs, but that was surreal.

• Members

Instrumentals: ...realized that "a day in the life of a fool" was not an appropriate lyric. Good tune though.

The English lyrics are idiotic. As are the English lyrics of "The Peanut Vendor" "Siboney" and 'way too many other latin songs. What a parasitic little industry -- provide stupid English lyrics for foreign songs and watch the money roll in. For me it's either learn Spanish/Portungese or play them instrumentally. Easy choice, since it's the music that caught my ear in the first place.

• Members
Anything Bob Marley, "I Shot The Sheriff", "Three Little Birds", "Is This Love", "Buffalo Soldiers" are some of the best received ones.

"Hot Hot Hot" (Arrow version, not the wimped out Buster Poindexter one) - Soca (sometimes Calypso songs can be modernized with a soca beat). "Big Panty Woman" is cute, but not recognizable in North America.

"Maryanne (Mary Ann)", "Man Smart Woman Smarter", "Shame And Scandal", "Rum And Coca-Cola" "Mama Look A Bo Bo" "Big Bamboo" "Jump In De Line" are calypso offerings. "Yellow Bird" "Jamaica Farewell" and "Island In The Sun" go well with an older crowd.

Notes

You are a cornucopia of useful advice and I thank you, Notes Norton.

• Members

You're reaction, although cribbed, is completely understandable....I'm sure you noticed that was not in my original suggestions...wink.png

Yes. The Beach Boys recorded some great songs and some emetic crud. "Kokomo" is among the latter. Successful, though. What's with that?

The trick for this gig is to play familiar Caribbean songs without violating my policy of only playing songs I enjoy listening to. I need about fifteen at most. Here's my long list at the moment:

Samba de Uma Nota Só (One Note Samba) Antonio Carlos Jobim

The Girl from Ipanema Antonio Carlos Jobim, Astrud Gilberto, Joao Gilberto & Stan Getz

So Nice (Summer Samba) Astrud Gilberto & Walter Wanderley Trio

Black Orpheus_ Manha de Carnaval Breno Mello

Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars) Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim

Dayo (Banana Boat Song) Aaron Collins

Matilda Aaron Collins

Jamaica Farewell The Air Canada Steel Orchestra

Mr. Walker Sparrow

Big Bamboo Sparrow

Old Man and Donkey Sparrow

Yellow Bird Steel Band

Hold 'm Joe Andre Toussaint

Out On the Rolling Sea Bahamian Traditional Singers

Canto Siboney Alfredo Brito

El Manisero (The Peanut Vendor) Don Azpiazu

Shame and Scandal Ainsworth Rose

I Shot the Sheriff Bob Marley

One Love/People Get Ready Bob Marley

No Woman No Cry Bob Marley

Three Little Birds Bob Marley

The Israelites Desmond Dekker & The Aces

Book of Rules The Heptones

I Can See Clearly Now Johnny Nash

Rivers Of Babylon The Melodians

Pomp and Pride Toots & The Maytals

Sweet And Dandy Toots & The Maytals

Stop That Train The Wailers

Stir It Up The Wailers

• Members

First the pool gets bigger, then it gets smaller again.

I've expanded my list of Calypsos (and Mentos and Goombays) that I think are most likely known outside the West Indies plus a couple I especially like. The performer is usually the originator of the song, where I could find one, rather than the American popularizer.

Big Bamboo Lord Creator

Boo Boo Man (Mama Look a Boo Boo) Lord Melody And The Caribbean All Stars

Brown Skin Gal Unknown Female Singer

Choucoune (Yellow Bird) Emy de Pradines et son orchestre

Day-O (The Banana Boat Song) Lord Foodoos And His Calypso Band

Drink-a-Rum Lord Kitchener

Gin & Coconut Water Wilmoth Houdini

Hold 'm Joe Mac Beth The Great

Island in the Sun Count Owen And His Calypsonians

Island Woman Vincent Martin and the Bahamians

Jamaica Farewell Harry Belafonte

Jean & Dina Sparrow

John B Sail (The Wreck of the John B) Blind Blake & The Royal Victoria Hotel Calypsos

Label Labor Day (Jump in the Line) Lord Kitchener

Man Smart Woman Smarter (Not Me) King Radio

Mary Ann Roaring Lion

Matilda King Radio

Mr. Walker Sparrow

Old Man and Donkey Sparrow

Out On the Rolling Sea Bahamian Traditional Singers

Rum and Coca Cola Lord Invader

Shame and Scandal Sir Lancelot

Ugly Woman Roaring Lion

• Members

Thanks for the kind words.

The list looks great to me.

Remember, what we do is play memories. As long as most people recognize most of the songs, you should do just fine.

Personally I like Soca and Salsa the best, but a lot of my favorites wouldn't go over with a plain, vanilla, B-flat audience, so as with all my songs, I compromise, play most of them for the audience, and sprinkle in a few for myself.

Notes

• Members

I'm trying to strike a balance here. The recreation director asked me to include some Caribbean material because "it's Caribbean month." The residents enjoy me for my old (pre-1950) popular songs. So I'm trying to do songs they might know. But that gets a bit uncertain when you're talking world music.

In addition to calypso, I want to include some Cuban music that was popular in North America in the 30s/40s: Siboney, Peanut Vendor, Amapola, Green Eyes, and that's where I run out of titles. Googling "Cuban songs that were popular in the USA" didn't get me very far. There are almost certainly more, but finding them (or "English" songs based on Cuban melodies) is proving challenging. I'll likely cover a few pseudo-latin songs, like "Begin the Beguine" and songs that lend themselves to a latin feel, like "For All We Know" or "I've Got You Under My Skin." I've got a couple of weeks to find them and polish them up.

I love Soca, but it's really too recent for this crowd and just me on piano seems a bit thin to try to cover, say, "Pump it Up" or "Hot Hot Hot" or (god forbid!) "Who Let the Dogs Out."

• Members

Thanks, daddymack. Would you do this for me, please? Would you go through the list below (from iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/100-cuban-100-essential-cuban/id658749723 $5.99) and delete any you don't recognise. I'm assuming that the remaining songs are, somehow, "known" and I'll give them special listening attention.

Adios Machito & His Afro Cubans

Adios Palma Soriano Benny Moré

Asia Minor Mario Bauza

Babalu Desi Arnaz

Barbaro del Ritmo Beny Moré y su Banda Gigante

Bee Ree Bee Kym Bee Machito & His Afro Cubans

Besito de Coco Celio González & La Sonora Matancera

Bien, Bien, Bien Machito & His Afro Cubans

Bodas de Oro Ibrahim Ferrer

Bongo Fiesta Machito & His Afro Cubans

Canción Mario Bauza

Candido Tito Puente