Monitoring...

daddymack

• Moderators

for a long time I have had a 'hotspot' passive monitor which I either set up on a stand for the drummer, or the keyboard player...and then I discovered there are powered units essentially the same size that will drive multiple passive hot spots...and being a guy with several mic stands, I started thinking, why use a floor monitor if?....so along with the new TC mini Harmonizer, I ordered a Nady 150W monitor that will drive two externals. So, obviously, in a band situation, 75W would be just barely adequate, but for solo or duo work outdoors, this seems like a perfect solution when I use the powered speaker on a stick approach [yes, I have seen the light for certain applications] rather than the Fishstick.

Anyone else use anything like this? I like the idea of a 'nearfield' monitor rather than a big 10-12" unit on the ground five or more feet away [plus, if I run the powered+passive approach, I should get much better balance and coverage]....I will report back on this as well when it all gets here [which will be later today] and I have some time to try it all out. These units are smaller and lighter, and that also attracts me...size matters!

Note to stevemac: I obviously will have to set this all up poolside, not enough room in the 'cave'...what will the neighbors say ;)

• Members

I've never like the sound of the hotspots... but I sure wish I did. A while back I rented a Mackie SRM150 but I came to the conclusion that it was a one trick pony - mic stand monitoring on very quiet gigs. I had it for a month or so IIRC. Took it out to this one particularly quiet gig where I had the Mackie, and my usual powered 10" speaker. While my ten inch did all that was required of it, the Mackie just couldn't do what I needed it to do, and I only used it for two songs before going back to the ten. Both speakers were close to the same price, so that was it for me.

Again, I sure wish something like that would work for me. It would be nice to have something super compact.

• Members

I can understand the need for a monitor in a band situation but for a solo gig does it really bring much to the party? I have been tempted by TC Helicons stand monitor but in the interests of my back just can't justify slepping another bit of kit no matter how small.

Oh and I may be your neighbour one day so have a bit of consideration or at least let me come over and play 😀

• Members

I also almost pulled the trigger on the TC Helicon stand monitor, as I thought it would do great double-duty while busking. But long story short, it's got a 48 or 45 volt DC input that isn't compatible with my 12, 16, or 19 volt DC battery. I also thought about using it on stage as my primary mixer, but it doesn't have a line output so it can't go directly to a power amp without another pre-amp...I think, anyway.

• Moderators
....I sure wish something like that would work for me. It would be nice to have something super compact.

Interesting, where did it fall short?

My goal is really to monitor just my vocals, and by having this closer to my ears, I think it will be fine. Our drummer loves having the nearfield monitor set up by his head....and we only feed the vocals into it.

I looked at the specs on a number of these, and the Mackie was actually the first one I opted out of because it wouldn't power an external speaker. Same with the TCH Voice Solo, although the larger speaker and the inboard reverb were interesting, but not necessary. I also did L-O-V-E their stand mount concept, much more clever than the typical. Both were a tad pricey, as was the HotSpot's big brother, the Galaxy Audio PA6S... and none were designed to drive additional speakers....which was crucial since I already have the passive HotSpot.

Everything arrived late yesterday, so today will be the beginning of testing....

• Moderators

Okay, I actually think this may work out great... preliminary indoor testing of the two monitors [powered and passive] linked is solid, vocals sound crisp, adequate headroom for the solo gigs, will need to keep the BeatBuddy feed to the monitor line low but audible...this was a concern that I'd not had a chance to really test before, since I have not used the BB with the powered speaker outdoors yet. I'm going to wait until a weekday to run a full volume outdoor test [when there are less neighbors around ;) ]

• Members

It's important to me to hear my voice. Without a good vocal monitor there's an tendency to shout rather than sing. But I don't use monitors with my solo act. I just set up with the FOH to each side close enough to my ears. Of course that won't work with a band. I don't have much experience with hot spot types.

• Moderators

My issue with using the FOH is the mix...everything is in it, and what I want is just my vocal, which the monitor allows me to do. We had a 50% chance of rain yesterday [didn't do anything until 8PM...:mad: ] so I have not had the whole rig up yet.

• Moderators

the one with the on off switch set to off.

Good lord, why does anyone think they need that much power on stage in this day and age?

Recently I was asked to fill in for a vacationing guitarist in a local blues rock band. I showed up at their rehearsal space, and there were two full Marshall stacks, two SVT heads with 4 1x15 cabs, a gigantic Pearl drum kit [double kick, two floor toms, at least 6 cymbals]...and no PA. I left.

Archived