eying a new harmonizer, any one tried this out yet?

daddymack

• Moderators

I mentioned a while back I am trying to shrink my rig down, because I was going to have to build a pedal board and didn't really want to deal with all that...so the RC-30 is going out in favor of the Ditto, and, now, the Vocalist Live 4 is on the ropes pending research on this.

I love the harmonies on the Vocalist, but honestly I use only a few, and could really be happy absent the extra case to lug, plus having to kill all the effects off every single usable harmony setting was a PITA.[45 efx settings per harmony setting!].

The RC-30 just got to be too much tap dancing between and during songs, and with the BeatBuddy, now it is really more than I can handle...time to simplify. Same with the Vocalist, changing settings between songs sometimes got very involved between the RC-30, it and the BB...

I know some people like having all that chorus and reverb and de-esser and pitch correction available, but frankly, I don't...and after gigging with this for the past couple years, I'm ready to see it, and the RC-30 go to a good home where they will be loved and used.

Anyway, back to the point of this thread...anyone tried out or have that TC H1? I see mixed reviews; most of the negatives sound like the reviewer got a faulty unit or failed to set it up correctly. Since I really only want one or two backing voices, this seems like the simplest, smallest and least expensive way to go....or am I totally missing something?

• Members

I bought the G-XT about three weeks ago. I dig it. I like the 'tone' button, the reverbs, how the guitar input tracks the harmonies, how i can use the reverbs on guitar, how easy it is to program, how few presets there are, how I can make fewer presets if I want. And it's small.

The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a headphone output-- it has two XLR's only. My stereo powered mixer doesn't have pan pots, and has two channels with stereo RCA inputs. I have a work-around: Right channel is the main, Left channel is the monitor. But a headphone out would be simpler.

So look at the G-XT. You might be able to get rid of a few more pedals.

• Moderators

Thanks. ptk, I had already looked at the G-XT, but as I said, I don't need de-esser, reverbs (both my Fishstick and Yamaha board have excellent reverbs), vocal doubling, tuner, etc.

I want a simple 'it is on, it is off' one-button type unit, without bells and whistles...I already have all the bells and whistles and don't use them. I'm looking to shed the weight, complexity and space of the Vocalist Live 4, which has served me well; but as better options present themselves, I need to be open to them. The H1 looks like a stripped down G-XT/VoiceLive, with a much smaller footprint (the G-XT is a close second size-wise).

• Moderators

the H1 has the same chord tracking ability as the G-TX. The drag will be manual selection of harmony settings, but I can live with that easier than all the tap dancing and making sure my foot is over the right button [one button vs 4 on the VL4].

• Members

And I thought you'd have to pay to play music in public.

…the NFL had a shortlist of three potential acts for the Super Bowl XLIX halftime show, which were Coldplay, Katy Perry and Rihanna. However, it was also reported by the The Wall Street Journal that league representatives asked representatives of potential acts if they would be willing to provide financial compensation to the NFL in exchange for their appearance, in the form of either an up-front fee, or a cut of revenue from concert performances made following the Super Bowl. While these reports were denied by an NFL spokeswoman, the request had, according to the Journal, received a "chilly" response from those involved.

• Moderators

Well, Super Bowl gigs are unpaid...I'm not sure who covers the staging costs, but the acts themselves don't get paid. Considering that the NFL is operated as a NON-PROFIT organization, the fact that they expect to get paid for their 'promotional activities' by these acts is down right unconscionable. Arguably, playing the SBHT is a huge promotional boost for a touring act, but considering what exorbitant amounts of money the Networks charge advertisers for commercial time, so much money flows through the process that the NFL is obviously doing something wrong if they can't meet their cost objectives.

Sooner or later the IRS will pull their non-profit status and once the NFL will have to pay taxes, watch ticket prices for games triple, blackouts return [i don't know if they still do this since we don't have an NFL franchise in LA for the last decade or so...:rolleyes: ] and players salaries begin to dwindle.

• Moderators

Okay, I spent most of my time on the new monitor set up, but my first impression on the H1 is not great. I need to spend some more time with it, obviously, but the higher harmonies [5th above] are a tad 'chipmonk-ish'...not a good sign. I had seen reviewers mention this, so I'm not completely surprised, but I need to see if there is a way around this. Not crazy about the low harmonies either....hmmm...

• Members

I don't use it a lot, but I think the harmonies on my GX-T sound pretty good... I too use a yammy board with built in Effects but I really like the verb on the gxt as well as the other perks and the size difference isn't the first place I'd look to cut weight or bulk in my rig... Ymmv...

• Moderators

was not the first place...the RC-30 was the first to be exiled. I made too many mi{censored}s on it too often...trying not to look down too often, y'know? Now with the BB added, I just want this rig as barebones and mindless as I can make it...and still have loop, drums and harmony....

oh, I do long for the days before I stepped into all this foot activated madness and just played guitar and sang...;)

Been too busy to get back on the axe today...looks like Wednesday I will set up the 'whole she-bang' [the whole enchilada, the whole 9 yards, the whole kit and kaboodle, the whole ball of wax....] out in the backyard [on my mini-stage], which will be interesting to see how long it takes to do, as I have to set a benchmark for this version anyway. I know the move/unpack will be much easier [two 'briefcases' vs three, but the same # of connections], but with the added monitor, plus I will set up two sticks with speakers, but only run one....no need to blast the entire neighborhood out...;)

Archived