care and feeding of the larynx

pogo97

• Members

I had a cold last week. It's over but my voice sounds and feels like yodeling in a dust storm. I have a gig this Saturday (in three days). I can choose to do any number of my songs as instrumentals but I'd prefer to be able to sing most or all.

Suggested strategies and treatments?

• Members

slippery elm is an herbal that has long been used to soothe throat and vocal cords... speakers and singers have used it with good results... a word of caution, if you do use this, lozenges are probably better than the tea... it isnt called "slippery" elm because it soothes the throat... a large dose of the tea will cause a cleansing worthy of legend...

• Members

The number one thing is to hydrate like crazy, and get plenty of rest. If you have any sinus issues at all, or post-nasal drip, get a neti pot and use it (use only distilled water, never tap). Try not to cough or clear your throat, as that is hard on the vocal folds, and try to rest your voice by trying not to talk too much, and pitching your speaking voice a little harder than normal when you do talk. Eating apples before you sing might also help, the pectin coats your throat in a good way.

Hope you feel better soon!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sadly when you get a cold there's not much you can do. But if you have a healthy immune system it should fight off the cold quickly.

Your vocal chords aren't accessible so what you drink etc doesn't touch them.

It's even debatable that steam inhalation touches them.

If you are hoarse it is most probably because your chords are inflamed, so all you can do is stay silent - total vocal rest. And keep hydrated. That is all you can do once they are inflamed.

Your larynx and vocal chords like to be kept wet and warm.

If you drink plenty of water your pee pee should be pale. If it is pale then that means your vocal chords and larynx are hydrated and happy.

If it is yellow, then you need to get more water.

If you get a sore throat, gargle with salt water. Tea made with stuff like sage, marshmallow root, liquorice and honey can all help soothe.

Honey, fresh pineapple etc is soothing but it won't help reduce inflammation.

Prevention is better than cure. so....

Invest in a Neil - Med sinus rinse kit and use it at least twice a week to flush out any bacteria lurking in your sinuses.

If your sinuses are rinsed clean, it helps prevent the bacteria taking hold and blocking up your breathing and it also stops the bacteria in any post nasal drip dropping down and making your throat sore.

It should also prevent bacteria dropping down further and affecting your larynx, vocal chords and lungs/bronchials.

Sinus rinse kit and salt water gargle should pretty much keep you clear from any nasties.

If you are blocked up in the nose and sinuses you should still be able to sing but if the infection is lower down you will probably need to cancel.

If you absolutely must suck on hard candy or lozenges then buy Propolis lozenges. Anything else is too drying - which is the opposite effect of the one you wanted. So its best to keep drinking water.

Hope that helps.

Archived