valentine song

pogo97

• Members

I have a Valentine gig at a retirement home. Easy-peasy; just do all love songs. But I'm wondering if there's an iconic valentine song that I should cover or it will be missed. Like Auld Lang Syne on NYE. Maybe Anniversary Song?

[video=youtube;3VcQVNw2w78]

• Moderators

[video=youtube;kgAx_sQ0mqE]

yeah, it is basically B-I-N-G-O, but, ey...

[video=youtube;840NbiFF1zM]

https://www.google.com/search?q=stupid+cupid&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=connie+francis+stupid+cupid&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAA AGOovnz8BQMDYykHyyPG90zcAi9_3BOW eso0ac3Ja4z3mLi4gjPyy13zSjJLKoXOM3GxQZkCXHxSXPq5-gYp5WkmuRUaDFJrmLhCeI81T7ETErY0tDCzMDExMQYiM0MTE1N zIylOkOKiMvOUeGR9ELZlull6kQVUvKzEICMNorwwqcAwRciMS 18_OT8nJzW5JDM_D8jMLcgvzgSxi-MT81Lic0uLM5MTc-KLUpPzi1Iy89KLRd_V_LcT0ufSQNZXnA-UwaXhTy5QgyqXHIpFiXn5eWCFZalFxSDrRBfHzMJQhsW0jb6z7 Kx4iktKCzJTFJJBZBCSP3NBgaTEwsEgwMSzhvfq1SPPWY_0NjU 4Bioab7FbcXYjABfIwviSAQAA

• Members

Middle song's cute. Clever video. The other two are shudderific.

Guido: I can sing "My Pretty Valentine" just about any time since that's the genre I work in. I hadn't put it in my set list but might, just 'cause you said so.

[video=youtube;_VwJunYSUd8]

• Members
Middle song's cute. Clever video. The other two are shudderific.

Guido: I can sing "My Pretty Valentine" just about any time since that's the genre I work in.

I do a fair amount of standards. But it's usually the call of the singers which ones we do, not mine, since I'm a lousy singer. And neither of them have ever mentioned it, so I'm guessing they don't know it or like it particularly.

Re: "Cupid". Classic tune, but not any more "Valentine's Day" specific than any other love song, really.

• Members

I do a fair amount of standards. But it's usually the call of the singers which ones we do, not mine, since I'm a lousy singer. And neither of them have ever mentioned it, so I'm guessing they don't know it or like it particularly.

Re: "Cupid". Classic tune, but not any more "Valentine's Day" specific than any other love song, really.

Yeah, but you know, you just say: "Here's a Valentine's standard…" and that's the end of it.

So maybe we need to write a Valentine's standard song. How about "If you do can't get lucky on Valentine's night, you'll never get lucky at all." That would be a nice cuddly thing.

• Members

Yeah, but you know, you just say: "Here's a Valentine's standard…" and that's the end of it.

Yep.

So maybe we need to write a Valentine's standard song. How about "If you do can't get lucky on Valentine's night, you'll never get lucky at all." That would be a nice cuddly thing.

Seems many have tried? What makes a song a "standard" anyway? A lot of cover versions. Use it in a movie or musical or TV commercial.

I'd love to have written a "standard".

• Members

I usually sing My Funny Valentine, but I forgot to do it today. Doing a rock gig tomorrow so we won't be doing it there. For love songs I do Teach Me Tonight, Deed I Do, I Didn't Know What Time It Was, Let's Stay Together and so on. I don't do L.O.V.E. but some do. And if you're going for the full lounge lizard meets Larry Welk there's I Just Called To Say I Love You. Although... Stevie seems to be the only one that can pull that song off without the corn growing way too high.

• Members

Veering off-subject a little, but what are the "new standards"- songs that seem likely to take their place alongside the jazz standard classics in the love song pantheon? Songs that have enough harmonic and melodic content to fit in with "The Nearness of You", "The Way You Look Tonight", and (like Guido said) that are taking on new life by being recorded by multiple well-known artists? Also, by "new" I mean tunes that are only 40-50 years old, as opposed to 60-90. You know, "contemporary" songs lol.

Examples (IMO) "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight", "Open Arms", "I Can't Make You Love Me".

Sorry for the diversion, just taking advantage of this meeting to pick your brains so I can expand my repertoire. I promise to evenly distribute the resulting increase in tips to all those who take part.

• Members
Not that I know of. I think because' date=' like you said, there are so many love songs already. "My Funny Valentine" certainly isn't it. Although I wish it was bexcuse it's on my short list of all time favorites and would love an excuse to play it once in a while. [/quote']I'm really pissed - the trumpet player pulled that one out of his arse last night on a gig I was doing sound for and I didn't get it recorded. He handed his iPad to the guitar and bass players so they could fake it from a chart and pulled out a freakin' flugelhorn and nailed it! A couple in their 80's requested it...

• Moderators

"My Funny Valentine"

Am Am+7 Am7 Am6

My funny valentine, sweet, comic valentine -

F Dm7 Dm6 E7 Dm E7

You make me smile with my heart.

Am E7 Am7 Am6

Your looks are laughable, unphotographable,

F Dm7 Fm G7

Yet you're my favorite work of art.

Bridge:

C G7 C

Is your figure less than Greek?

Dm7 G7 C Dm7 C

Is your mouth a little weak?

Dm7 G7 CM7 E7+ E7 Am FM7 F7

When you open it to speak, are you smart?

E7 Am Am+7

But don't change a hair for me,

Am7 Am6

Not if you care for me -

F Bm7-5 E7 Am C7

Stay, little val - en - tine, stay!

F FM7 Dm7 G7 C F7 E7

Each day is val - en - tine's day.

2nd Bridge:

E7 Am Am+7

But don't change a hair for me,

Am7 Am6

Not if you care for me -

F Bm7-5 E7 Am C7

Stay, little val - en - tine, stay!

F FM7 Dm7 G7 C Fdim CM7

Each day is val - en - tine's day.

can't seem to get the chord spacing to hold...but that is the chart, more or less

• Members

Or Lennon & McCartney (you did say "all time")

Cohan?????? George M. Cohan??? You jest. Name me three songs of Cohan's that you can listen through without starting to squirm.

I kinda don't want to like Berlin because I find his character (as described, we weren't chums and I certainly admire his drive) unsympathetic. But:

1911 Alexander's Ragtime Band

1915 I Love a Piano

1918 Oh! How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning

1919 A Pretty Girl Is Like a Melody

1923 What'll I Do?

1925 Remember

1925 Always

1926 Blue Skies

1927 The Song Is Ended but the Melody Lingers On

1928 Marie

1929 Puttin' On The Ritz

1932 How Deep Is the Ocean?