Let's Face the Music and Boogie

steve mac

• Members

I am sure that I am, like most here, in that if a gig is in need of an injection of audience participation, I have a bunch of songs I can go to that will all but guarantee the crowd joining in by singing along, I am thinking about songs like HighHo Silver Lining etc. but what I don't have is songs to encourage folk to get up on their feet and have a dance. I am not precious about using BTs or a looper, stomper etc. and would love to include a "drunken woman who should know better" encouragement section in my set. Any and all suggestions gratefully recieved.

• Members

It's just that although I am all about audience participation in relation to singing along, positive heckles etc. and I do get the odd (very odd) person or two getting up and jigging about to my songs, I don't have any in my set where I would expect this behavior and I would like some. Preferably sixties or early seventies but would consider any.

• Members

I'm not sure about solo guitar, danceable stuff but Brown Eyed Girl and Mustang Sally almost always work with a drummer or beat box. Sweet Caroline is the official anthem of drunk women the world over - well maybe not in countries where they don't allow alcohol - or women...

• Members

and the best rendition of I am woman, that I have yet heard, was by a huge brute of a pianist I have worked with off and on, forever... drunk and disorderly at a local watering hole... the hilarity was monumental... pick any page at random and then just put your finger down and that's the song I'll sing... some memories are priceless...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was hoping to find another useful synonym to further confuse things, but this is all I got, courtesy wikipedia.

Singing is the act of producing musical sounds with the voice, and augments regular speech by the use of both tonality and rhythm. One who sings is called a singer orvocalist. Singers perform music (arias, recitatives, songs, etc.) that can be sung either with or without accompaniment by musical instruments. Singing is often done in a group of other musicians, such as in a choir of singers with different voice ranges, or in an ensemble with instrumentalists, such as a rock group or baroque ensemble or as a soloist

In many respects human song is a form of sustained speech, and nearly anyone able to speak can also sing. Singing can be formal or informal, arranged or improvised. It may be done for pleasure, comfort, ritual, education, or profit. Excellence in singing may require time, dedication, instruction, and regular practice. If practice is done on a regular basis then the sounds are said to be more clear and strong.[1] Professional singers usually build their careers around one specific musical genre, such as classical or rock. They typically take voice training provided by voice teachers or vocal coaches throughout their careers.

• Members
well, anyone can be a singer [even a sewing machine!], but you gotta be special to call yerself a vocalist! ;)

I think that's true. Anybody can sing, but we often see "vocalist" used as a chair in a band, as in "piano", trumpet", "vocals" (or "vocalist"), etc.

There . . . that settles it. ( yeah, fat chance. You could easily site the Beatles . . . . "Molly is the singer in the band". But that's a syllables issue.)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived