House of the Rising Sun

nousername

• Members

Yea I'm a little curious but wary. What was that long ago movie? Something like, I Am Curious Yellow.

Oddly enough, I had the unpleasant experience of rehearsing that tune the other day. It's a long story as to why I even subjected myself to that experience, suffice to say it had to be done. Which reminds me of my other "favourite" tune, Mustang Sally. I'm sure I've told this before, but don't stop me... Used to be in a fifteen piece band that would rehearse before every gig. We did three or four a year, and they were always well paying gigs. However, we rehearsed every tune in the set list including Mustang Sally - complete with the audience breakdown and sing along part! That was a very soul sucking experience. Upon reflection, I probably should have sought therapy to try and hasten my recovery, because it's been a long road back from those rehearsals. The only saving grace was that there was always beer present, a necessary crutch to be sure.

Oops, sorry for the thread creep.

• Members

If someone could sing HORS with anything approaching the mojo of Eric Burdon it wouldn't be so bad to play IMO.

Shaster's experience unfortunately reminded me of the time I was in a band that actually rehearsed Rolling On The River (Tina Turner version). For 20-30 minutes at that, because we were arguing with the horn players (relatives of the bandleader) who were added to the gig. I couldn't believe it was happening. This is the first time I have ever admitted it to anyone.

• Moderators

Proud Mary is also in that 'Top 5'....I worked up a sort of 'funk' arrangement for 'Mustan'k' Sally' [also in my top 50 songs I really do not want to ever have to play again], which I can slip in with the original arrangement and put some wind back in the sails of that old ship...the band does it only as a paid request [or like last time, a MILF asked if she could sing it with us...I finally relented, and she was okay..singing, I mean]

apologies to 'no user name', perhaps if you could put the song on you tube or somewhere we don't need to DL.

• Members
The oldest known existing recording is by Appalachian artists Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster, who recorded it for Vocalion Records in 1934.[1] Ashley said he had learned it from his grandfather, Enoch Ashley.

Heck, they want the original version? This is it.

[video=youtube;147kS8O59Qs]

Or maybe something a little more modern for the youngsters out there:

[video=youtube;bJ5W_xzz65U]

• Moderators

interesting how that song morphed over thirty years...from major key to minor, and verses came and went...The version I remember liking best was Joan Baez'...I had GF back in HS who just nailed that vocal....no jokes about the nailing thing, pervs...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
I hate to go all Facebook on y'all but just had to hit the "like" button! Lowrys and Continentals are bad *ss! I'm sure senor atoned by following up with Chest Fever! BTW my predictive text tries to make me write "stoned" instead of "atoned". Guess I have a musician-centric phone lol.

1965. I don't think Chest Fever had been written yet. . . . and we only played one song.

In retrospect, I wish I had bought a Wurlitzer EP instead. I sold the Lowery and bought a Farfisa Duo, which introduced me to the idea of LH bass. . . . a mixed blessing.

Archived