Outdoor Winter Gigs - Tips?

Shaster

• Members

I've played four outdoor solo gigs this December and they were pretty hard on the fingers and guitar - even though three of them were under a well constructed wooden canopy with heat, lights, JBL monitors, EV front end, a tech, and so on. It was still cold on that stage, and I could never really play properly. Vancouver BC isn't all that cold, but it can still get down to zero celsius or below (32 degrees F).

My fourth outdoor gig was quite brutal, because I was right on the waterfront. There's no PA, no heat, no electricity, no shelter (unless it rains), and at times it feels like no reason to be there. I take my imitation Ovation guitar and essentially do the busking thing, except that I get paid through the organizers. Last year the whole thing was indoors for better money, but this year they're outside.

Anybody got any tips for Winter busking, besides the fingerless gloves (or maybe there's a good brand)? Hot waster buckets for the hands? Balaclavas? Staying at home? Moving to Florida?

• Members

Drug stores sell these bean bag sort of things that you heat up in a microwave.

il_570xN.196425522_1__grande.jpg?1331770738

We have one that's horseshoe shaped that you drape over your shoulders and I can vouch that it warms up your hands just fine. Good enough for playing outdoors in winter? Dunno.

• Members

You can get those 'hand heater' packets from most general stores. The sort that you shake up and they emit heat for a few hours. Put a couple in your pockets (and shoes, pants, jacket maybe too) and use regularly to keep hands warm.

Sometimes though, staying home is the better option. I guess it all depends what you get out of the deal and if 'you' think it's worth it.

• Moderators

Fortunately, the only 'Outdoor in December' gigs I have done have been in L.A., but the last one, it rained, and with the wind chill factor, it was easily 35F. I swore never again, and actually took a pass on a gig this year based on that experience...of course, now we are having a fairly mild winter...but we also have had some decent rain...those hand warmer packets would be better than fingerless gloves, IMHO...

• Members

Watched New Years in New York a few years ago and was amazed at the stars (Lady Ga Ga) who were willing to traipse around in flimsy outfits in stupid cold weather. I guess that sort of dedication is part of what got them there. In their position I'd have sent the butler.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I did another outdoor gig again today, but it wasn't quite as cold, maybe 10 C. They even let the musos play inside for part of our two hour stint. However, it was pouring rain so not many people came; in or out. The other "funny" thing was the sea planes. If you haven't heard a sea plane they are loud, and while they're taking off, that noise echoes over the water. I'd be in the middle of a song, and suddenly I couldn't hear my guitar or vocal - nothing but the plane. They seemed to take off at least once a song. All I could do was laugh and realize that I could have been outside digging a ditch instead of outside

playing guitar. A small but significant consolation.

The organizers plan to be inside next year, so if I tough it out (and get hired back) I'll have a warm stage and an early shift gig.

Archived