funeral gigs

pogo97

• Members

Because of a bunch of things, it looks like I'll be playing the pipe organ at our local Catholic church (which my wife and kids attend -- I do not). But, at least for now, just at funerals.

This is a very good thing for me. The church has been without an organist (they have a musical director but he only plays guitar) for about a year and Paul, the organist at the United church across the street has been filling in for funerals, which really benefit from organ music. But his legs aren't good and the Catholic organ console is 'way up a whole bunch of stairs.

Now, I play piano, but not organ. And the difference between the two instruments is profound, despite the common keyboard. A piano is a percussion instrument and the organ is a wind instrument, just to start. I also don't know the Catholic liturgy or repertoire. But Paul has agreed to give me organ lessons and generally guide me to competence. I asked for a month of lead time so I could at least begin to learn the instrument. This may lead to a steady gig as the church organist, we'll see.

Meantime, I'm gonna learn how to play funerals. And organ. Nice big pipe organ in a big old church. I have permission to go play it any time the church is open -- which is all day every day.

Life is full of surprises.

• Members

Life long learning - it's a good thing. Sounds like a great opportunity and although funerals can be sad affairs, the organ can play a big part in them, so it's an important job.

I don't play much keys, but even I would relish the thought of playing a pipe organ. Is it inappropriate to say "have fun"?

• Members

When I was young, our keyboard player played the pipe organ at the Cathedral in Palm Beach Florida (where the Kennedy's went to mass). It's an amazing instrument, and we could get into the church any time there was nothing else going on, and play rock music on it.

He was very talented, had books with just melodies and he knew enough about the style to make up the chords under the melody as he went along and make it sound legit.

This was years ago, but at that time, he wasn't allowed to play any music that wasn't written by a Roman Catholic at mass. I suppose they've relaxed that rule by now.

Anyway, have fun, it's going to be a great experience harnessing all that power and letting those 64' pipes rumble the building.

Insights and incites by Notes

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been going into the church every day this week to spend some time with the organ. Lots of fun! I'm working on some of the funeral hymns etc to get those down (and I'm still pretty vague about the service, but the choir's there to help out when and if someone dies). The pedals are less daunting than I thought, but I'm still only about 80% accurate -- up from 17% on the first day. Playing a lot of my normal material -- old jazz -- and re-thinking it on the organ, which seems a good approach and amuses the priest and caretaker.

All in all, this is a pretty nice gig.

• Members

smiley-winkOne of the most miserable experiences of my life was as a teenager, I was talked into playing organ at a funeral by a family who was truly desperate for a musician. I had never played organ, just piano, and there I was at a funeral parlor surrounded by grieving strangers, doing my best to play organ for the first time. In my nervousness I sped up the hymns to about 2x the correct tempo and the preacher rushed up to me and (loudly) whispered SLOW DOWN, son! As if he was afraid the corpse was going to jump out of the casket and boogie (lol). I don't remember what I got paid, but $$ for playing music was a novel idea at the time.

And at least Pogo will be isolated somewhat from the family members, although IMO a stiffie is still not advisable.

• Members
smiley-winkOne of the most miserable experiences of my life was as a teenager' date=' I was talked into playing organ at a funeral by a family who was truly desperate for a musician. I had never played organ, just piano, and there I was at a funeral parlor surrounded by grieving strangers, doing my best to play organ for the first time. In my nervousness I sped up the hymns to about 2x the correct tempo and the preacher rushed up to me and (loudly) whispered SLOW DOWN, son! As if he was afraid the corpse was going to jump out of the casket and boogie (lol). I don't remember what I got paid, but $$ for playing music was a novel idea at the time.[/quote']

I'm much luckier than you were. I'm getting tons of support from the priest and secretary and choir. They all really want someone to play the church organ and couldn't be more helpful, so far. I have free run of the organ any weekday from 8 to 4, and since I don't know the liturgy or the music, they are pointing me at the correct music to learn. The missal is very confusing -- mostly because there are so many choices -- and I expect to lean heavily on the choir when I finally step up to play a genuine funeral.

• Members

Good luck with the pedals. When I had a Hammond A100 with full pedal board I didn't make much headway. It's a shame because that skill could have been put to use in a unique one-man band. Understand now it's a muscle memory thing.

I'm glad that ceremonial music exists, and that the Catholic church doesn't resort to canned music for that. Most funeral parlors around here seem to have a piano and organ on the premises, unplayed in lieu of pre-recorded music. Maybe they had too many experiences with nervous, immature funeral boogie jamming, 3rd-tier or not.

• Members

I'm pretty pleased with my pedalic progress. Not that I'm any good yet, but my feet seem to gaining a sense of where the notes are. Of course, I'll need to be getting organist shoes. I've been playing in sock feet and moccasins so far and picked up a really ugly pair of leather-soled shoes at the Salvation Army store today. But THE REAL PROS wear these:

fetch?id=31376324

• Members

My first (and best) college piano teacher was actually a pipe organist. I recall playing rock organ parts on the pipe organs in the practice rooms equipped with them. But the sound had none of the acoustics (or latency) of a pipe organ in a cathedral or big church, therefore missing out on at least one-half of the awesomeness, according to my calculations. Now I have a tiny Hammond SK1 (digital) that has great capabilities for pipe organ as well as Hammond. No pedal-board, although they are available.

• Members

Paul, the organist who is helping me out, studied pipe organ in university and was the high school music teacher here until he retired about ten years ago. He's wonderful and very helpful and the only person in this town, I think, who has made an actual career in music. Unfortunately, he's had some nerve problems and his right leg and foot are no longer working well. He covers pretty well on the organ, but getting up and down the narrow winding stairs to the Catholic church choir loft is slow and difficult. Luckily for him, the organ console at the United church is just behind the altar and about one stair up.

• Moderators
wife wont let me wear them with shorts...

probably a good thikng, IMHO...I see young girls do it with a pair of 'Daisy Dukes', and if they have the right shape, they can get away with it...but you Vol...meh, I don't know, with the green scaly skin and all....

Archived