New Year Song

steve mac

• Members

I am booked to perform at a bar/restaurant on New Years Eve and plan on doing the countdown to midnight then just one more song to finish, but what song would be appropriate. The only thing I have ruled out is Old Lang Syne which is just awful IMO . So any ideas gratefully recieved.

• Members

They way I figure it is they are going to want to hear "Auld Lang Syne" so I'll play it. It only lasts 2 minutes and I personally am going to take home as much money as I would in over 5 normal gigs.

At one time in my life I didn't want to play holiday songs. I especially didn't like St. Patrick's Day songs because you have to spend the time learning them and then only play them one day per year (Christmas songs you get to play for a few weeks). They just seemed to be a poor return for the investment in the time it took to learn them.

But I've changed my mind about that. Now I play them year after year and realize the investment in time paid off in time, and they are like old friends that I hadn't played for a year.

But to contribute:

Wasn't there a Dan Fogelberg song about Auld Lang Syne that was done to the melody of Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture"?

Thanks google, here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_Old_Lang_Syne

Insights and incites by Notes,

• Members

It's not any help to your situation but I've played Auld Lang Syne on a gig every year at midnight since I was a Junior in High School except one.

The agency screwed up, thought we were booked but at the last minute found out we weren't. So I went with Leilani (wife and duo partner) to see another friend on his gig. At the stroke of 12 I felt like a fish out of water, there was no sax in my hand, so I leaned over to give Leilani a kiss and that made the unfamiliar moment pass.

Good luck on your gig. I hope whatever you choose is a hit with the audience.

Notes

Archived