New, active, ear plugs offer advantages over the old passive type

Notes_Norton

• Members

Since many singles and duos play in small places where we might need ear protection and might also need to hear what audience members are playing between songs, this post might be of interest to you.

They attenuate up to 15db but only when the volume is high. Between songs it's almost like having no earplug in at all.

I put it in the Craig Anderton folder because it seems like the 'off topic' forum. Here's the link - (so I don't double-post)

Notes

• Members

Yep $300 is a lot of money.

I paid $400 for my custom fit passive ear plugs by the time I paid for the audiologist appointment and the plugs with custom fit ear molds (I did get two pairs) so the price isn't that bad, especially when you consider your hearing is priceless.

And then again, I make money playing music, so it's just another tool. I gig about 50 weeks a year so it works out to a small percentage of each gig. And being able to hear the audience without pulling out the ear plug is great.

If I was using in-ear monitors, I wouldn't even think about these. But then in-ear-monitors ain't cheap either.

Notes

Archived