Jazz Duo guitars

Bob Dey

• Members

My friend and I get together every so often and go over songs in the Real book. One of use takes the melody, then we take turns improvising and it's a lot of fun. The plan is to put together a CD's worth of songs and get a few gigs, but it will take a while before it comes together. The target will be wedding cocktail/dinner music, restaurants etc. Any other events or venues we should look into?

• Members

I've played at art galleries and private galleries before, with a similar duo/trio format. There are also mall gigs, either in the summer or at Xmas. Political functions, and actually fundraisers in general. I have also done private house parties, where the hosts wanted some extra ambiance. Further to that, you've got wine rooms, scotch tastings, office parties, industry parties, retirement parties... - all places that I've played, which means you could too.. In addition, some conferences and special events also have jazz or light music in the meet and greet area, before the guests go into the ballroom. Some senior's homes might also be interested, but the money isn't always that great.

As you can see, there are lots of off the beaten path, or off the wall venues. Back when I was doing a fair bit of Real Book jazz, I even did a couple of shows at auto dealers, nestled between the cars. Until this summer, I also had a once a year gig at a Steeplechase... and that reminds me that I used to play jazz at the race track - between races of course!

Last but not least, a gig I'm sure I've mentioned before, I used to play at this fancy market called the Urban Fare - right next to the monstrous cheese section. It paid okay money too.

Good luck on your new venture.

• Members

Ode to the Mammoth Cheese

We have seen the Queen of cheese,

Laying quietly at your ease,

Gently fanned by evening breeze --

Thy fair form no flies dare seize.

All gaily dressed soon you'll go

To the great Provincial Show,

To be admired by many a beau

In the city of Toronto.

Cows numerous as a swarm of bees --

Or as the leaves upon the trees --

It did require to make thee please,

And stand unrivalled Queen of Cheese.

May you not receive a scar as

We have heard that Mr. Harris

Intends to send you off as far as

The great World's show at Paris.

Of the youth -- beware of these --

For some of them might rudely squeeze

And bite your cheek; then songs or glees

We could not sing o' Queen of Cheese.

We'rt thou suspended from baloon,

You'd cast a shade, even at noon;

Folks would think it was the moon

About to fall and crush them soon.

James McIntyre

• Members
Travelling through many airports I often see performers there' date=' sometimes a piano player sometimes guitar once even a steel band often wonder just how lucrative that gig would be. Nice conditions and probably good for tips.[/quote']

Sometimes they're locally important artists, too. Like André Toussaint in Nassau.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtnOVaR9IXw&list=PLNWe71iNgFb9NjmrBfRfauj0VVNtRsHjX

Whenever we arrive at St. Kitts to visit my wife's parents there's a band at the airport. Not, though, in the departure lounge, though last time out the flight was late and The Platters, who were heading back from playing a cruise, gave us a couple of songs.

Seems worth checking. I'd guess that the Gananoque Airport would be a little thin unless skydivers are big tippers.

Archived