Speaker placement

Terrapinstation1973

• Members

Maybe this has been asked before. Acoustic act consisting of: 2 guitars, 2 mics (1 condenser mic, 1 sm57), and an electric drum kit.

I have two powered speakers and a small board.

Would it be better to use one speaker as a main and the other as a floor monitor. Or, could I have both speakers behind the singers/guitars, without getting a ton of feedback? Having both speakers 'out front', we probably won't be able to hear well (with the drum amp behind us). I just got the 2nd speaker, so I haven't tried it either way yet, but if anyone has an opinion I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

• Members

The thing that raises a warnng flag to me is the condenser mike which would be less directIonal and therefore more prone to feedback. I used to put the speakers to the side of me slightly turned in in order to negate the need for a monitor. In fact I think my first ever post here was about speaker placement. The upshot was I could neither hear properly nor defeat feedback. Then someone suggested placing the speaker directly behind me, working on the principle that my own body would shield the mike and guitar and blow me down it worked a treat. Having said that I use a TC Helicon mike and it has a very narrow field, in fact I practice at a moderate volume with the speaker facing me. As others have said nothing beats setting up and trying well before you have to do it in front of a crowd.

Archived